Bacon Slicers...Again!

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Looking at the schematics and photos of the Porkert slicer, at the 2 second hand one's I have had and the ones John has posted links to, I think I would conclude that to all intents and purposes the cutting wheel and housing is exactly the same. What seems to vary is the adjustment plate that lets you select the cutting thickness, which vary from flimsy (ie useless) to reasonably solid. The two white one's John linked to look as if they may be better in this regard than the orange/white one, but without handling them it would be difficult to say. My first one was flimsy, my second is better but could still be improved upon(it still flexes slightly when you push meat against it), so if the Porkert is unobtainable and you go for another make, focus your attention on the plate.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:40 pm

The first link look to be good value as you get extra blades and it is electric...which might lead to better cutting???
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Yes, it looks like a really good machine. I keep mentioning manuals because Harterz particularly wanted a manual one. Looking at the feedback those electric ones have gone at auction for between �50 and �87 pounds, so at �50 + 10 delivery not bad at all. But note that Franco still seems to have his at a summer special of �59.00. I can't comment on the relative merits of either but I know where my money would go :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby this41uk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi

There's a Berkel going for �52 with 22 hours to go 4 bids made at the moment on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BERKEL-Cooked-Meat-SLICER_W0QQitemZ330203213789QQihZ014QQcategoryZ25374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tim
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 pm

I have just put my wallet through my mincer so I cannot be tempted by it :D

Dave

Edit: And added butcher block E to my watch list... :oops:
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby harterz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Saucisson & Oddley

Sorry for the delay, I have been in the States for a week and was forced to work for a living so have only got back to the forum now I am back at my desk :wink:

I too found the new Porkert site set up in 2006, but have been unable to establish a link to the e-shop, they have not replied to my e-mails and the suppliers I have tried are still unable to get hold of gear from them.

Anyway, I have the Salter unit now and am pretty happy with it. Does what I need at least.

I concur re the potential issue over stability of the adjuster, particularly if you are slicing really thin, but does the job for me.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

harterz
Searching for a suitably pithy footnote.
harterz
Registered Member

Postby the hogman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:58 pm

I've just spoken to a mate and he has got three aluminium berkels (not sure if I've spelt it right) he wants �250 each, not sure if thats cheap or not; can anyone advise.

Ross
the hogman
Registered Member

Postby the hogman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:59 pm

forgot to say their bacon slicers with 10 inch blades.
the hogman
Registered Member

Postby the hogman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:04 pm

just checked out ebay and the slicer went for �193
the hogman
Registered Member

Re: Bacon Slicers...Again!

Postby mrutty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:18 pm

porker wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had recent views on the all metal bacon slicer that is sold on the site? It looks the part in my eyes, but I'm concerned about its rated power output.

Yes porker, I have one that Franco sold me about 4 years ago. It's still going strong. If I compare it to a friend of mines which is a proper butchers one with autofeed and all the other toys then no it's not as good. It does struggle with thick rind and I find you have to cut off a lump that gets caught every so often.

I've had to strip it down twice to move the motor bracket back to the correct position (I really most sort out the photos as I promised Franco I'd post them here 3 years ago :oops: ) But otherwise fine.

I was asked to repair a Kenwood awhile ago and it was just not fixable.

In short, it's �60 it'll slice better than any of the others I've seen in this price range.
mrutty
Registered Member

Postby porker » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks mrutty,

Do you know if the serrated blade is better / worse than a plain blade? I still haven't bought a slicer as its such a mine field, and I can't really be wasting 60 - 100 quid.

Mind you, I'm getting kinda good at slicing semi frozen bacon with a large knife :D

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby mrutty » Fri May 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Mind came with a plain blade so couldn't comment. I know the kenwood I was asked to fix seemed to tear the meat but then it was old.
mrutty
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Sun May 04, 2008 9:18 am

Lidl's offering is here again http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080505.p.Electric_Food_Slicer.ar2
A question for owners, can this easily slice rind-on bacon?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun May 04, 2008 9:31 pm

Although I have a small (semi) professional type second-hand electric slicer, unless I need to slice really thin I use a butchers steak slicing knife to cut bacon. It has no problem with the rind, and I generally like my bacon about ⅛" thick. I own a 16" slicing knife but find the steak slicing knife better. It saves stripping the electric slicer down for cleaning.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies