H.P. Style Sauce Recipe (Minimal Mess)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

H.P. Style Sauce Recipe (Minimal Mess)

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:41 am

As promised, please find below my version of this sauce. Several years ago, when I first laid this out I looked at preparing it from a minimal mess/minimal cooking point of view. This version can all be done within 25 to 30 minutes, including the cleaning up.

H.P. Style Sauce

Ingredients
� 125 ml (1/2 cup) Sarson�s or Heinz Malt Vinegar
� 125 ml (1/2 cup) Heinz Tomato Ketchup
� 45 ml (3 Tblspns) Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
� 45 ml (3 Tblspns) Thai Style Medium strength Chilli Sauce (Sri Ratcha/Flying Horse etc)
� 50 g Raisins
� 3 each Pitted Prunes (or Dates if available)
� 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Tamarind Pulp (if available)
� 15 ml (1 Tblpsn) Salad Oil (Add the oil before adding the Molasses as this will prevent the molasses from sticking to the measuring spoon)
� 40 g (3 Tblspns) Molasses
� 5.00 ml (1 tspn) Salt
� 1.25 ml (1/4 tspn) Ground Black Pepper
� 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Nutmeg
� 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Coleman�s Mustard Powder
� 5.00 ml (1 tspn) Ground Thyme
� 1.25 ml (1/4 tspn slightly heaped) Cayenne Pepper
� 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Mace
� 2.50 ml (1/2 tspn) Ground Ginger
� 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Onion Powder (not Onion Salt)
� 15 ml (1 Tblspn) Cornflour
� 60 ml (4 Tblspns) Cold Potable Water

Method
� Add all ingredients (except the water) to a blender and liquidise until the raisins, prunes (or dates), and tamarind (if used/available) are reduced sufficiently (small flecks).
� Pour/scrape the mixture into a wok or large saucepan
� Add the cold water to the blender and turn on to help clean out the remaining mixture.
� Cook over a low heat � stirring constantly � until the colour has changed and the mixture has thickened (10 to 15 minutes).
� Pour into sterilised bottles and allow to cool (the bottles can be stood in a bowl of ice/cold water if desired). Place the bottle tops/caps onto the bottles but do not tighten down until the mixture is cool. Note: - try to avoid air bubbles forming when filling the bottles. If they occur a sterilised knitting needle etc. can be used to remove them.
Note: the sauce will thicken once it has cooled down so avoid over thickening it at the beginning stages.

I hope that this is of some use to you

Any comments/feedback/recommendations always appreciated.

Kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general