Milk brands good for cheesemaking

General Cheese making discussion

Milk brands good for cheesemaking

Postby Matt B » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum as well as new to the hobby of cheesemaking. I have help/watched a friend make a batch of mozzarella a few months back. He mentioned that you have to be careful and not purchase ultra-pasturized milk that it will not make cheese. Is there a list of brands that only pasturize their milk and not ultra-pasturize? Or are there any tips you can give me when it comes to picking out milk for cheese making?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:48 pm

I thingk u have to ask people in your own area since it varies so much from were u live. maybe phone the companies in your area that produce the brands that are in your area.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Matt B » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 am

What about cheese "types"? Like 1%, 2%, skim, Vitamin D? Are there certain ones of these that will make better cheese? I'm trying a batch of cottage cheese right now that I'm using Vit-D to make so I guess I'll see how it turns out here in about an hour.
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby Matt B » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Well, I think I have successfully made a batch of cottage cheese. It tastes pretty good. The recipe I had said it made about 2lbs and I ended up with around 3 3/4lbs so I'm thinking I didn't drain off enough of the whey. But, that can still be fixed fairly easy.
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:21 pm

What I ended up doing is buying 2% and adding 10% or 18% cream. That has worked the best for me (and a little CaCl)
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Matt B » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:31 pm

Hmm, I may have to give that a try until I can find someone who has a dairy that will sell me milk.

Have you had any luck with powdered milk? I've read one place that said it works really well and one place that said it doesn't work at all.
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:38 pm

On another forum I guy did that and reported it was not good at all.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Matt B » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:39 pm

I am doing another batch of cheese. It's been a while since my first two tries. I went to my local store and picked up two gallons of milk and was going to do as suggested with getting 2% and then adding 10 or 18% heavy cream but all the heavy cream they had plainly said "Ultra-Pasturized". I'm guessing that would not work, correct?
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Matt, I'm assuming you are in the US, is that correct? Most of our cheesemakers aren't from that part of the world so as a whole we can't help out too much as our milk sources are completely different. Using UK sourced milk powder was pretty much a disaster for me, maybe US milk powder is different. Any thoughts Blue Cheese?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Matt B » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Yes, I'm from the Southern US. Didn't realize most of the members here where from elsewhere. I'll update my "Location" tag so people can tell.
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 am

The expertise is worldwide, from Zululand to Australasia and back again, which makes this such a nice place to be in. If you need help, just ask.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby clarep » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 am

Hello - I am hoping to try to make my first cheese at the weekend. I live in The south East of England and unfortunately have No dairy farms anywhere around here - all boring arable :( Can someone please tell me is it ok to just use full cream milk from the milkman?
Thankyou in anticipation
Clare
clarep
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi Clare, welcome to the forum !!!

When I make cheese I just get my milk from Tesco or Morrisons. I find that Morrisons gives a bit more yield.

I would presume that the stuff from the milkman would be pretty much the same as that in the supermarkets, although I have never used milkman stuff as I don't have a milkman. (Probably quicker for me to do a deal with a local farmer)

Sorry I can't be of much more help :(

Mike.
Mike D
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby clarep » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks very much for that - can't wait for the weekend now!!
Cheese is milk's leap toward immortality.
Clifton Fadiman (1904-1999)
clarep
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Welcome Clare, I like your signature :)

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cheese Chat