Maynard Davies

Postby TobyB » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:31 pm

No, I confirm that both references to 1000lbs are as they appear in the book.

Possibly this is incorrect as they seem small amounts don't they?
TobyB
Registered Member

1000 lb vs 100 lbs

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:09 pm

TobyB

thanks for the clarification

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby this41uk » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 pm

I know this is a bit late in the game but I've just got a copy of "Maynard" :!:

Has anybody rendered down any of the recipes to something more round the 5LD mark instead of 100's of LD for sausage or a single side of bacon or a single ham etc :?:
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby Bodger » Thu May 01, 2008 12:48 pm

I've had the book for a couple of years and i can highly recomend it. He started off life in Stoke-on- Trent which is where I come from and it was a real blast from the past. It talks of a working life that is long gone. I really enjoyed it.
Not poisoned anyone yet.

www.overthegate.com

Bodger
Registered Member

Postby debbie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Just to say that Maynard came into our farmers market in South Molton today. He wondered over - I didn't recognise him although I do have both his books so of course know of him - and had a look at our stall. We had a chat and it seems what attracted him to us was that we made up our own cures and sausage mixes (sorry Franco). Anyway, we had brief chat but I had customers waiting so he said he wanted to talk further (still didn't know who he was at this stage) and said he would come back....well five minutes later he did. He did look at the other meat stalls in the market but didn't linger just came straight back to us (only ones curing our own). Well, some of the tips he was giving were amazing (which of course I can't remember right now). The upshot is that I have his phone number, he loves what we do - rare breeds, old fashioned tradional methods of curning etc etc and that I am to give him a call next week and we will have a chat for half an hour and he will answer any questions I have. Am very excited about it.

He has a new book coming our which is full of recipes but, from what I can gather, scaled down somewhat from the "take 1000lb of pork" recipes in his previous books.
debbie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm

amazing, you must be feeling well pleased.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 pm

I also have both of Maynard Davies' books and am so jealous!

The amazing thing is that the few recipes he details in his books are not that far removed from today's curing levels, unlike many non-professional recipes of the time.

Debbie, please let us know his opinion of your method of curing - I've read about it on other forums where I'm a stalker. :cry:

By the way, your faggot recipe (adapted for our local midlands taste) is superb!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.