Shop bought milk

General Cheese making discussion

Shop bought milk

Postby TonyE » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

I recently attempted to make a small quantity of cheese using shop bought milk, needless to say I ended up with whey that looked like runny yogurt. A quick search around this site identified the problem, I need to add Calcium Chlorid to shop bought milk.

I have contacted Ascott-Shop and enquired if they sold smaller quantities than 1Ltr - 'No' came the reply back (not even a free sample in sight)

1Ltr Calcium Chlorid @ �4.99
Delivery Cost @ �6.99

Does anybody buy Calcium Chlorid from Ascott-Shop???? if so, would you be willing to sell me 50ml, about the size of an eye droper.

Alternativly I could ask a Dairy farmer, are they permitted to sell 1 gallon of milk at the door???

Regards - TonyE
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby Gordon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:05 pm

I don't know if this will help but Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) ( E509 ) is also used in home brewing see this linkHome Brew Site "Brewpacks" is a very common brand to find in home brew shops so it might be worth looking down that route
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Go with the raw milk if u can, tell them what your doing and make friends :)
Your cost of CaCl and shipping is still cheaper then what we pay in the west.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Shop bought milk

Postby TonyE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks 'BlueCheese'

I will take your advise a 'talk' to my friendly farmer, see if I can "Cross his palm with Silver" in exchange for some milk straight from the cow's udder. As long as I do not have to milk the cow myself.!!!!!

I had a look at your Video Diary, Wow that is outstanding!!!!!, (I have only tried making a Cypriot Cheese twice) I have only looked at one of your cheeses,I am really impressed.

Up to now I have only attempted Sausages and Bacon, but this cheese making, is becoming more and more appealing.

Thanks for your reply

Regards - TonyE
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

If you get no luck with the fresh milk I will ask my local home brew supplier if they can source some of the flakes for us as I could do with some myself.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Shop bought milk

Postby TonyE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks Dave

Excuse my ignorance, I presume the Calcium Chloride from Home brew shops is in powder or crystal form??? It could be added to milk to compensate for the loss of Calcium during the pasturisation process - Or have I got it completely wrong

I do a small amount of home Wine making, as the water in my area is hard anyway, it has never occured to me to add Calcium, I was not even aware it was needed....Are you a wine maker also???? what is the benefit of adding Calcium during wine making???

Appologies for all the questions

Regards - TonyE
TonyE
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 pm

It is in crystalline form (flakes) and if you add water would be the same as the solution sold by Ascott. The advantage is (assuming I could get some) is that it comes without any water, and so would reduce postage charges by 10 fold. ie I could send you some for virtually nothing :)

It's used in brewing beer to mimic the hardness in the water in some brewery areas if you live in a soft water area and are trying to approximate an authentic brew.

Quote:

"Description
BREWERS� CALCIUM CHLORIDE is hydrated calcium chloride used to correct mineral deficiencies in water which is to be used for brewing. It is used in de-mineralized or soft to medium hard water to increase permanent hardness. Used as directed, BREWERS� CALCIUM CHLORIDE is
effective in eliminating the variations in composition often encountered in water from surface sources. It will help establish proper pH of the mash and the wort and provide sufficient calcium ions essential for
enzyme function, kettle protein coagulation and yeast metabolism."

I make some wine (mainly hedgerow) but I'm first and foremost a real ale man.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat