Bread Making

All about bread

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 am

Hi lemonD, I always make sure that my dough is risen to the top of the corners of the tin, before I put it in the oven. With careful introduction of water to the oven at regular intervals will result in a dynamic oven spring.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:39 am

lemonD wrote:Dave,
There are two Morrisons local to me and both do not stock fresh yeast.
However we are getting a Sainsburys next month. So all is not lost in the quest.

LD

Don't hold your breath, I'm not sure sainsburys do here either...

I'll check, if enough people ask...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:05 am

Oddley wrote:Hi lemonD, I always make sure that my dough is risen to the top of the corners of the tin, before I put it in the oven. With careful introduction of water to the oven at regular intervals will result in a dynamic oven spring.

Oddley,
I think I'm over proofing as I've been letting it rise 3cm above the tin and I'm using the water in the oven.
I have just got some fresh yeast from Sainsbury's so we'll see :)

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Joining the gang!

Postby dimmell123 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi everyone!
Just got my Kenwood from eBay this morning and, of course had to do something with it so have successfully made my first lot of gorgeous butter (see the section in General Cookery). But I'm kicking my heels now waiting for Emma to get back so I can order some improver and get going with that. I have been making bread very successfully in a breadnaker for years but can now see so many more possibilities thanks to the guidence everyone has given here.
But I have a little question: who is it here has shares in either Kenwood or eBay? I suspect it's that lovely Jenny!!!!! My bro persuaded me to bid for a machine because he'd got one for �9.99 so being the obedient younger one I put a load in My eBay to watch. I nearly died when I saw what the prices were flying to. With all this promotion you've got the prices climbing up to �90. I did manage to get one at considerably less than that but I realise I have been lucky. I bet some will now be looking for car boot sales!!!!
Oh drat, I'm getting the urge already. I think I shall have to have a go tomorrow at that soft bread roll recipe even without the improver.
Let me just say thanks to you all for a wonderful thread!
David
dimmell123
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi David,

I just read your post about the butter.....you do need good bread to slap it on as well, or you'll feel cheated.

I'm just toying with the idea of "borrowing" my mothers Kenwood Chef, she no longer uses it and there are loads of attachments with it too, but not a flour mill :cry: (Jenny uses one and it looks great). I'll struggle for space though as I the electric food slicer coming tomorrow that I got off eBay and that will take up valuable space.....

I'm going to try those rolls that wheels did on p2 of this thread so I can have my homecured bacon on them on Saturday morning (I have just got to use this slicer when it comes).

I'm also just waiting for the lady from Kitchen Foods to come back off holiday so I can order to bread improver too! What a time to have a holiday :wink:

I'm sure you'll agree, with me that this whole forum is great, and the other members are not only very helpful, but very knowledgeable too.

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike D
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

If you cant wait, I believe Lakeland have bread improver in their catalogue, or shop if you have one close by.

Or another supplier on ebay is: brilliantbakerysupplies, I've just noticed Oddley has supplied the link earlier in this thread.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Jen,

I'll wait until Kitchen Foods come back from holiday - I have lived without the bread improver for years, so a couple more days will not hurt :( ......and they are in same county as me, so I'll support Lancastrian business !
Mike D
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:43 pm

I've been buying improvers from a guy called Mick Heaton. He sells on eBay too AND is also in Lancashire. His prices seem to be some of the cheapest. Nice bloke and very helpful.
His eBay shop is here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bakery-and-Fine-Deli-Supplies

The Rhubarb and Custard Jam he makes is gorgeous!!
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Mike D » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:43 pm

I bought some white bread flour a few days ago at Morrisons, my nearest supermarket - this was 48p for 1.5kg and strong breadmaking flour (protein 11.9%). I did a 50/50 (white & wholemeal) loaf this morning with it in the breadmaker and it was a cooked lump of dough! It had not risen at all :( - I was a tad disappointed as I need some bread for my first batch of home cure bacon which will be ready tomorrow. So, I let the m/c cool down and did a straight white loaf, the same happened with this. I thought that it must be the flour, no wonder it is that price. So, to have one last go I went onto wheels's Local Food Heroes Blog where he has a recipe for a loaf which he does in his Kenwood and pictures of it too.

I let the breadmachine mix the dough, and then followed the instructions and recipe on his blog....what a superb loaf!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (See below). Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat!!!!

I will be using his method of doing bread in future and just letting the machine mix the dough. Absolutely Brilliant!!! I have been brought back from the edge.....and I thought there was something difficult about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks wheels.....
Mike D
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Cut me a slice please! That looks superb.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Honestly wheels, that is the best loaf I have made...ever!! The O/H is very impressed; so much so, we have just had a couple of rounds of cheese & onion sarnies for our lunch! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I presume I just do the same with wholemeal ?? It is in the rising, which is where the breadmachine is a let down really....it cannot see what is happening and just relies on how it is programmed.

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike D
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Mike
You're making me hungry.

I haven't done this recipe with wholemeal. Jenny Haddow, I know makes a lot of wholemeal bread, she has posted about it on this thread. There's also a recipe from Oddley earlier on.

My thoughts, from past experience, is that it may need more liquid and may not make a dough that is as elastic as the white dough. Maybe use a loaf tin to get around this?

Maybe try with 1/2 white and 1/2 wholemeal for a start?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:00 pm

If you think that's good Mike, try Phil's white bread roll recipe. OMG!!!!
They are brilliant and dead easy to make. I make loads of them now and freeze them for future use.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi John,

I did read about them ( and saw the photo )...they will be next I can tell you, if the "big" loaf is anything to go by, the rolls would be superb with a bit of pan fried "home cured" on them.

I'm out walking tomorrow, and the sandwiches will use the loaf up completely....generally a loaf lasts for weeks in this household, not just over 24 hours :shock:

I'll need a bigger freezer; it is getting full of bacon, sausage, butter and soon, bread rolls....
Mike D
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi
I suspect
* water flour ratio
* your breadmaker program

because Morrisions flour is OK. At this price all the supermarket flour I have tried works OK

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Bread Making