Boerewors

Recipes for all sausages

Boerewors

Postby Diann » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:14 am

I have a South African recipe book with a recipe for boerewors. It lists the meat as 1.5kg each of beef and pork. What sort of beef and pork should I use?

Also, it says 4 tbl coriander, then roast it till light brown and grind and mix with the other herbs. I assume this is 4 tbl of fresh green leaves?

And there is no liquid, eggs, water etc. Only 50ml of Worcester sauce. Does this sound right?

And no rusk or breadcrumbs. Will it all hold together alright?

Thanks for any help.

Diann
Diann
Registered Member

Postby Robert May » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:26 am

Diann
you wrote
Also, it says 4 tbl coriander, then roast it till light brown and grind and mix with the other herbs. I assume this is 4 tbl of fresh green leaves?

It is referring to coriander seeds and NOT leaves. My cousin gave me a recipe for this I'll have a look for it and post it here.

best wishes

RM
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:58 am

You can check my recipe on http://www.biltongbox.com

Traditionally you use pork - or pork & beef. The main spice in Boerewors is Ground corriander seed. It is best if you toast the whole seeds, then grind them yourself (for best flavour). Some recipes call for vinegar, others worchestershire sauce. Boerewors never has rusk.
aris
Site Admin

Postby TobyB » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:21 am

in the interests of diversity here are two other recipes taken from the "South Africa, this is our country" site:

Here are two recipes, one from Welma du Plessis from Fauresmith, and the other from the book by Readers Digest*.

Welma's Boerewors (this recipe made since 1940)

10 pounds beef
2 pounds diced fat
1 teaspoon (5ml) pepper
3 tablespoons (45 ml) salt
4 tablespoons (60 ml) coriander, minced
1 tablespoon (15 ml) All Spice

Dice fat by hand. Cut meat into smaller pieces. Mix all spices well and season the meat. Rub pieces well.
Ground the meat after this process, but not too finely. Add the fat. Mix lightly. Shape into balls, which will make the stuffing process easier (see below how to do that.)

The following recipe from Reader's Digest will take about 2 to 3 hours to prepare, then a standing time of about 3 hours, and a maturing time of about 2 days.

Ingredients for about 7kg (15 pounds) Boerewors:

3kg (6.6 pounds) beef, preferably topside
3kg boneless mutton (preferably leg - do not use lamb)
1kg (2.2 pounds) sheep tail fat
30-45 ml (2-3 tablespoons) salt
10ml (2 teaspoons) freshly ground black pepper
5ml (1 teaspoon) finely ground allspice
60ml (1/4 cup) ground coriander
100g sausage casings, soaked in salted water and rinsed
TobyB
Registered Member

Where to put the recipes

Postby Robert May » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:31 am

Sorry

but I have just posted a recipe for this under "Recipes". Being a newcomer to this forum should I have posted it here along with the ones above? Please let me know for future reference.

best wishes

RM
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:51 am

Sorry I'm new as well. Don't suppose it matters much where you post it but I put mine in the thread as the OP is most likely to look at her original posting for a reply. Having said which she'll now know to look in recipes for your one too so all's well that ends well :D

If Franco or one of the Moderators want to make a ruling on the location for posting of recipes I'm very happy to comply.

Best wishes

Toby
TobyB
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes