Currywurst

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Currywurst

Postby Davred » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Currywurst

4 bratwurst
1 tbsp margarine or oil
2 tbsp finely minced onion
2 to 4 tbsp good quality curry powder
1/2 to 1 tbsp paprika
1 bottle ketchup
� pint water

Saut� the onion in the margarine or oil until it is transparent (DO NOT BROWN). Add curry powder and paprika to onions and quickly saut� just to bring out the flavor, then add the ketchup and water. Simmer uncovered until the sauce is the thickness you desire. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.

Serve over Bratwurst with an extra sprinkling of curry powder
Davred
Registered Member

Postby Davred » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Having got some veal mince and pork shoulder I made some Brats today and am going to have currywusrt. Only I have a sauce recipe I want to try out. It was got for me by a friend who was in Germany recently.

Currywurst Sauce

Swiped from a Schnell-Imbisse on a recent trip to Germany.

1 tin tomatoes, chopped OR 1 bottle ketchup
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp paprika
4 oz sugar
6 tbsp red wine vinegar
salt to taste

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion. Cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 tbsp curry powder and 1 tbsp paprika; cook for 1 minute more.

Crush the tomatoes (with juice) into pan. Add sugar, red wine vinegar, and salt to taste; stir well. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 25 minutes.

Pur�e sauce in a blender until smooth. Strain sauce through a sieve.

Serve hot over sausage.
Davred
Registered Member

Postby Davred » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:05 am

The sauce was great, the wurst could have been packed firmer but they tasted fine. Now to try charcoal grilling a couple.
Davred
Registered Member

Re: Currywurst

Postby JerBear » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 am

Couple questions.... Davred, in your initial recipe is that 1 1/2 pints water? Also, for both recipes, any idea what size bottle of ketchup?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 pm

That is a different take... every time I saw currywurst from an imbiss it was simply a grilled bratwurst cut into pieces, DROWNED in ketchup with a couple of Tablespoons of curry. I didn't realize some regions made the ketchup and curry into a true sauce.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:31 am

When I worked in Vienna they were something like that. Loads of ketchup then sprinkled with curry powder from a flour dredger.

johngaltsmotor wrote:That is a different take... every time I saw currywurst from an imbiss it was simply a grilled bratwurst cut into pieces, DROWNED in ketchup with a couple of Tablespoons of curry. I didn't realize some regions made the ketchup and curry into a true sauce.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general