Bread disasters ...

All about bread

Bread disasters ...

Postby porker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Here is a pic of the last attempt to make an everyday loaf ... I never actually put it in the oven ...

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:15 pm

What's wrong with it? Looks ok to me.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:46 pm

johnfb wrote:What's wrong with it? Looks ok to me.

Maybe a touch under cooked :)

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Sorry about that Porker couldn't resist :D
Did you slash it after the second rise? Cause it looks deflated.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby porker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am

:D It looks much better in the pic actually :shock: It was slashed, and it hardly moved after that ... it was only about 2'' high, but it spread out over the tray, like something from a horror movie, it had a life of its own :?

I checked the date on my flour, and it was a bit over a month out of date, being Nov ... '06 Don't know where it had been hiding, but I've got new yeast and am getting fresh flour, I'll read up on these improvers too :D

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Sometimes if I add too much water/liquid the bread will spread out over the tray on its second rise. I now put those very viscous mixes into a loaf tin as it helps to contain it all!!

or,

Just make into several smaller bread rolls as they can contain there own weight a bit better.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Oh! 'er Porker, that ain't what we want!
Your dough certainly expanded, but not in the right direction - bit like me really! :lol:

I assume that you are using this recipe, not the bread roll one?

Ingredients:
600g Strong Bread Flour
400ml Luke warm Water
1� teasp Salt
2 tblspns Cooking Oil
1 sachet Fast Action Dried Yeast

I know it's no consolation for you, but I have made this with all sorts of flour, from cheap supermarket to ones from a local watermill, and they've all been OK - so here's a few things that could have happened:

1. Too much liquid added (even 1tbsp too much can make a difference) experience will enable you to tell by feel - until then weigh the water 400ml = 400g.

2. Not enough kneading. You need to kneed for longer than people think to develop the gluten in the flour. I do 10 minutes in the kenwood. By hand it may take up to 15-20 minutes of hard work.

3. Not knocked back well. When you knock the bread back make sure you kneed it well - you need to work the dough to give it a 'kick up the back-side' so it starts work again.

4. I slash the dough before the second rise - use a very sharp knife and make slashes in one cut, otherwise they will be untidy. Make a (controlled) slash rather than cutting down into the loaf. You can do it after, if you do, a razor blade is best for the job.

5. Don't try to leave the dough to rise longer than is necessary, the air bubbles continue to expand until they burst and the dough collapses.

The other points made on this, and the other thread, are all valid. Two packs of yeast make the process quicker, as does bread improver. Although quality is my goal, cost is important to me - I don't use either - the dough will do its thing, given time. Also, when covering the dough, be careful, if using a plastic bag on the second rise, that when you take it off it doesn't damage the risen dough. Try to inflate the bag when putting the dough in - making a sort of tent. Personally, I just chuck a clean tea-towel over it.

I would be interested to know your views on whether these instructions need more photos to illustrate any particular procedure (applies to anyone, not just Porker).

Good luck

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby porker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:05 pm

:D Thanks for the indepth and helpful reply.

I'm blaming the flour and yeast as both were past their best. I'm certainly gonna give it a try again, I found your instructions excellent and fooled myself into thinking this is it, I can't go wrong :oops:

I'll keep you all posted, first the everyday loaf and then the baps ...

Thanks everyone for giving me heart to try again.

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi porker

Do you need a white flour loaf.? If you would consider a (mostly wholemeal ) loaf I have a recipe that most kids,who dont do wholemeal, and those who are averse to crusts will eat

Money back guarantee this will work out day in dayout never fails. If your interested I will post.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:22 am

I don't know about Porker - but I'm always 'up' for new recipes.

I'd love to try it Jim.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:17 am

Me too :)

I did just order a kilo of Ma Emma's Farmhouse improver today though :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi

Its hard to believe that something this simple took 3 years to evolve it actually started life as anadama bread.
We have used this recipe for over 3 months and baked 3 or 4 loaves a week without one disaster.

I mix all my dough in a bread machine on the dough setting. This is because Im lazy.

295 mls of water( im with Phil I weigh mine)

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tbs maple syrup

375 gms wholemeal spelt flour

125 gms strong white flour

1 tsp salt

1.75 tsp quick yeast

35 gms butter

After the first rising remove from the machine and knock back,place in loaf tin and leave to rise until doubled in size Bake in a preheated oven @ 200C for 30 mins.

This is a fairly forgiving recipe no problems varying the water by 5 ml either way the yeast seems ok between 1.5 and 2 tsp and the butter between 31 and 40 gms.Im not too sure about the rising temp. we usually do this in the living room in sight so as not to forget.

we have tried variations Bonnies fav is 250gms wholemeal spelt 125 gms.white spelt (a bit hard to comeby round here) and 125 gms.strong white

I have used 50 gms of rye and 100gms strong white 100gms white spelt and250gms wholemeal spelt.

Happy baking Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby porker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:04 pm

captain wassname wrote:Hi porker

Do you need a white flour loaf.? If you would consider a (mostly wholemeal ) loaf I have a recipe that most kids,who dont do wholemeal, and those who are averse to crusts will eat

Money back guarantee this will work out day in dayout never fails. If your interested I will post.

Jim

Wholemeal was the one I originally started with many moons ago, but gave up as they were always so solid, really brick like :( I was trying the white loaf as I'd read they were easier :?

I see you have the details up ... I will also be trying this one.

Many thanks.

:D
porker
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:27 pm

Here are wheels (now famous) soft rolls...

After 2nd proving & before going in oven

After coming out of oven...hmmmmmm....

And another shot...fresh from the oven
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 pm

I love the flying saucer shapes before going into the oven :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bread Making