Easy to Make Cold Smoke Generator

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi

As you are contemplating making your own cure I would urge you to read long and hard all the info you can before you embark on using saltpetre. I know there are others out there who know more than I do, but I would urge caution before you launch into action. You will also need a good set of scales!

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Read this thread, in particular, the third post. As Jen says, be careful you know what you are doing, before doing this :)

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... etre+bacon

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pshriver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:05 pm

I am ready to bulid the smoke generator. Thank you for the ideas. What is the temp of the smoke when it enters your smoker?
Thanks,
Pat
pshriver
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 pm

I pass mine through a condenser, so I would say it goes into the smoker virtually at ambient temperature. I will be smoking before Christmas I'll measure it for you.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pshriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:39 pm

How many pounds of pressure and you running the pumps or generators at? Also you longdoes it smoke for. I built one but it seems like it only produces smoke for about 20 minutes.
Thanks,
Pat
pshriver
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:55 pm

I use a fish pond air pump that pumps up to 45 litres a minute, I don't know what the pressure is, although it can pull a reasonable vacuum. I have it plugged into a dimmer switch so I can control the flow rate. I use lumpwood in mine and it smokes for about 8 hrs if it's behaving itself, though it needs checking every now and then to check the burn has moved up through the lumps of wood.

I checked the temperature at my last smoke and it was at ambient, which was 4 deg C.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pshriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:11 pm

do you fill it with an already burning lump of charcoal and add dry wood in with it? I am using chips and they seem to burn out quickly.
Thanks,
Pat
pshriver
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes, not a briquette but some real charcoal. I make sure it is well lit using a blow torch and then pile the wood chunks in on top. I'll do a photo shoot on the next session which will be in a week or so. The last smoke I did I used vine clippings which also worked well.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pshriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:27 pm

That sounds like my problem. I will find some real charcol and then use lump wood rather than sawdust or chips. Is it neccesary to dry out the wood? I am goin gto go aout and hack off a branch form an apple tree.
Pat
pshriver
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:15 pm

I use a plum tree I cut down 4 years ago, it does need to be dry. But chop up your branch, chunk it and dry it in the oven overnight at say 70 deg C.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby pshriver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:04 pm

How big are the chunks? My pipie is only a 2"x10" pipe.
THanks,
Pat
pshriver
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm

I put 1 to 2" chunks in a 4" pipe, I'd try and go for 1/4" to 1/2" in a 2" pipe, but that's sheer guesswork on my part.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Got my flask cold smoker going :lol:

all i did was remove the plastic from a large stainless vacuum flask including inside the cup, drill a few holes in the bottom of the flask, through both layers , drill and attach a 15mm tank connector to the cup/lid and one in the side of your barb/trashcan or dustbin over here, connect with a piece of 15mm copper pipe ,and use compression fittings as its easier to get the wood going on the stove, as for air i use my pond air pump ,only a pond air 2 to a ttin which had salmon in it"the small one" just drill a hole in the side and use silicon tubing from the acqurist shop "pond place" :lol: through a tight hole near the bottom.All you have to do is sit the flask on top. As for fittings its up to you i used conex as its easier to dismantle and heat the wood up on the stove for me, puipe lenth and diameter , i think 15mm is ok but some use 22mm ,but you may have other options :D :? A reguating valve and one way value would be useful from you pond place, but regulating the airflow depends on your pump.
Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Gaz

What a brilliant idea, I was trying to think of what to use to make one of these for when I cold smoke smaller amounts, you've solved it for me - Thanks.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 pm

My brain needs a photo :D How do you plug the top of the flask as the original bung is not heat resistant?

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing