crusty bottom

All about bread

Postby fremented » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Gosh, well maybe I came across the wrong way... I really do not think I have a problem (lol). I been baking many, many years. My baguette are of commercial quality, actually better, more ethic looking. It is one of the most simplistic and complicated things to make. I guess whatever I make, I experiment, and never totally satisfied looking for ways to improve.

I am believer that you cannot make good bread, pizza, baguettes unless you can cook at very high temps 500-700 degrees. My little experiences has exposed me to this. High temps make a big difference, but you have to learn that you can burn items very fast, like 30 sec-1min to long.

My last oven stone I passed it on to my mom, I am lucky enough to have a deck oven. Oven cooking or stones do not cook like a deck oven, though my deck oven has a ceramic type stone in it :)

Really do not think corn meal as a dusting has anything to do with a nice crust on a pizza. My opinion is temp first, then hydration level, mix types, etc. My pizzas have very good bottom crust, think of burning the bottom of the pizza as easy, or easier, then the top, if that make sense.

What part of the parchment are you having a hard time understanding? Pizzas or for baguettes. In pizza making it helps my lack of experience of sliding the pizza from the peal to the stone. Nothing messier then your pizza top sliding off into the back of the oven. For baguettes, most home baguette forms/trays/pans are made of screens, your doe will stick to the screens.
fremented
Registered Member

Postby fremented » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:35 pm

I feel moister passes through parchment?

wheels wrote:I'm just thinking that the parchment may be the problem - isn't the idea of the stone to draw moisture from the dough? The parchment would surely inhibit this.

Phil
fremented
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:54 pm

In all honesty I don't know - it was just a thought.

I guess that the issue with screens is why many artisan bakers use a linen or canvas couche instead?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fremented » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:38 pm

The linen or couch are used for transferring from form to oven/stones?

When my baguettes lose a bit of air, it is from the process of transferring. So I decided to use parchment in the former and bake in the former. When the bread is set, I remove the parchment, take bread our of former, rotate and keep cooking. In a hot oven this is a matter a few mins 2-3.

I have learned using parchment, that if I proof a long time in the trays/formers or even let a pizza sit on the peel very long, moisture goes through, causing it to stick on the peal. This will even cause it to stick to the bread more. Moisture goes through the parchment so much, that even heavy floured peel it will stick. I guess it is all relative, just a matter of learning to work with what you have. The more you know the more you know what you don't know.

When I use parchment, I get brown or hopefully not black crust. Although, I do not leave it on the bread very long, because in high heat the parchment burns fast. The exposed areas burn fast, water seems to make it burn faster too.
fremented
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm referring to the couche being used for proofing the dough as in the video here:

http://www.breadcetera.com/?p=8

Hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fremented » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:46 pm

yep..

I use linen sometimes, depends on what I am doing.
fremented
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Bread Making