Fibrous Casings results

Introductions and chatter

Fibrous Casings results

Postby johnfb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Ok, so I got the fibrous casings 5.5 inch in size. Here are the results:

This is 5 kg of a pork blend that we eat cold and sliced on sandwiches.

The end result after 2.5 hours at 180deg cooking time

I had been brining a ham for the last 14 days and took it out this morning. Sharon, my wife took her piece off it to cook for tomorrows dinner, leaving me with 3.75 kg to play with.
First I use the sample casings I got from Albion packaging. Size 3.5 inch.

The pot I have is not big enough to cook the lot in one go so I tied off the casing in the middle with butchers twine as I dont have hog rings, and vac sealed the two pieces and poached them in 70 degree water. They are in there now,the end pictures will follow. My big concern is the bag blowing but we will see.

Two little baggies tied off with string

Sealing the casing up. The reason for this is the bag has holes in it for roasting rather than poaching.

Poaching

The result

So I had a bit of the ham mix left over. I decided to put the remainder in a 2 lb loaf tin and roast it.

The ham was the Wheels blend using supracure. The result was superb in the roasted ham in the loaf tin.

While I was writing this up the poached ham came out of the pot. The bag did not blow up and the ham roll was tested and reached 72 degrees on my proble.

All in all, a good days cooking and the fibrous casing worked a treat.
Last edited by johnfb on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm

John

Welcome to the big sausage/salami club!

...and the recipes are?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Your every day ham (supracure blend).

The pork blend was your breakfast sausage blend but the salt at 45 grms as I don't want it too salty for sandwiches. I also added 500 grms of breadcrumb, 1 pint of water and 10 grm of Marjorm added at the second grind to keep the flecks in the sliced meat.

The meat weight was 5.5 kilos.

I only ground the meat, for all blends, twice and did not feel the need to emulsify it and so mashed it with my hands after the second grind. Turned out fine.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Sorry John, are you saying that you used the ham ingredients but made sausage with them? Or, that you ground the finished cured ham before cooking? :?

That sausage-meat blend looks almost like haslet - which I guess it sort of is! :?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:20 pm

wheels wrote:Sorry John, are you saying that you used the ham ingredients but made sausage with them? Or, that you ground the finished cured ham before cooking? :?

That sausage-meat blend looks almost like haslet - which I guess it sort of is! :?

I was unsure if the UK Haslet was the same as ours, but yes you are spot on, it's the same as the Haslet we buy in the shop. The amount I made would have cost us �50, I made it for �22.

The cured ham was minced for the roast ham in the loaf tin and I filled the 2 small 3.5 inch casings with minced ham and poached them. They turned out a perfect roll of your ham blend, absolutely fab. I sliced it up about an hour ago and they are in the freezer now for future use. Just like the ham roll you buy in the deli....except juicer.

Ohh....I added 2 tablespoons of milk powder to the twice minced ham to hold in some moisture and that worked out perfectly, the ham roll is juicy as anything.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter