sponges

All about bread

sponges

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I've put this in bread, but move it if you wish. I mentioned Emma's cake improver in the Panasonic thread, but didn't want to interrupt Poppikin's questions. Anyway, here's a picture of a sponge I did today Using the improver. It fell a little, but, well, there isn't much left of it.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm

A large sponge cake - just like your loaves :lol: :lol:

I'll have mine with some more cream on. Ta!!
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby wheels » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Jeeny

In what way do the additives improve it?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:15 pm

They seem to prevent the 'discus' effect mentioned and illustrated by Dave in another thread.

I've never bothered much with cakes in the past but was intrigued enough to try the cake improver and I must say I've never had cakes rise so well and with a lovely texture. I expect they keep better too, but they're never around long enough to test that aspect.

I know people who can make great sponges without improver, I tended to make a spare set of plates!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby MickHeaton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi again Jenny,

I have used improvers for cakes and they do make a visable difference with volume and texture.

It can be argued that there should be no need as you use self raising flour or add baking powder etc but some people simply enjoy better results with an improver.

Although as I say they in theory should not be required it does give some that re-assurance they will get a good result and not just another frisbee, get to many frisbees and people start to buy cakes from the shops again!

I use them and get good results. As for promoting shelf life etc, as with you there are few cakes that I make at home that last long enough to need help lasting!
MickHeaton
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making