I broke my Kenwood...

All about bread

I broke my Kenwood...

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Making this, the Megaloaf :-

It was struggling a bit with the dough and suddenly stopped dead before I could get to it , with an ominous overheated smell coming from it...
:cry:
I left it for 2 days before pressing the thermal cut out button and switching it on..

OH Joy!! :D It works again !!

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Nice loaf Dave.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm

I left it for 2 days before pressing the thermal cut out button and switching it on

Good to see you used your 'loaf' with that problem :lol: :lol: :roll:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:57 am

That tin does take a lot of dough and would put a bit of a strain on the mixer. I do it in two batches and combine them by hand afterwards. Lovely loaf BTW.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Jen. I seem to have finally cracked breadmaking thanks to all the help here. Things have improved massively since I stopped weighing anything :lol: I now put some water in the bowl add some Allinsons yeast and a pinch of sugar and leave to froth. I then pour in a thirdish, half or 2/3rds or more of a bag of flour, a couple of generous pinches of improver ie a few teaspoons and a generous pinch of salt and then start mixing. As it comes together I add water until it "looks" right and then let it knead, finishing it off by hand to make sure I "like" the texture. Rise knock back, rise and bake.

My gas BBQ seems to make an awesome bread oven, possibly due to the high humidity and the fact it's very hot :)

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby lemonD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 am

Good loaf Dave, looks like you have the same tin as me,
If want a more even height to the loaf, roll it so it fits the tin or put the dough in the centre of the tin and place a chopping board on top with some heavy plates, remove when the dough hits the board.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am

Well spotted LD, it was a gift from a generous lady in Ely :D

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Jaunty » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

saucisson wrote:Thanks Jen. I seem to have finally cracked breadmaking thanks to all the help here. Things have improved massively since I stopped weighing anything :lol: I now put some water in the bowl add some Allinsons yeast and a pinch of sugar and leave to froth. I then pour in a thirdish, half or 2/3rds or more of a bag of flour, a couple of generous pinches of improver ie a few teaspoons and a generous pinch of salt and then start mixing. As it comes together I add water until it "looks" right and then let it knead, finishing it off by hand to make sure I "like" the texture. Rise knock back, rise and bake.

My gas BBQ seems to make an awesome bread oven, possibly due to the high humidity and the fact it's very hot :)

Dave

Dave just saw this and completely agree. If you haven't got one a pizza stone for baking bread on the BBQ is excellent. I had this Weber rectangular one:

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/product ... tone_.html

and loved it, until the wife took it from the freezing cold and put it in to hot water and it broke. I will get another one (or two, which would fit on my Weber S450 and make for a great pizza making set up for a party).
Jaunty
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Might I suggest you pop into Wickes and see if they are still doing granite 40x40x1.5cm floor tiles for ~£6 a go. They make great pizza stones although they do eventually become brittle.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Bread Making