Cajun Seasoning recipe

Cajun Seasoning recipe

Postby realcoolchris » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 pm

I like a bit of Cajun seasoning on a steak, or chicken or a bit of salmon before grilling. It's good as a seasoning when cooking Chillie con carne too.

I wanted a recipe to make some rather than buy those little pots at a couple of quid a throw.

I found a recipe on a web site for Morton's Cajun seasoning but I can't be doing with US volumetric measurements, so I converted it all to metric.

Here's the recipe:

paprika 85g
salt 145g
white pepper 50g
garlic powder 65g
onion powder 85g
thyme 10g
oregano 10g
black pepper 25g
cayenne 25g

Makes 500g

Grind all the whole spices
Add all the powdered spices & herbs to them in a large jar with a lid. Shake well.
Do not sniff the cayenne to see how spicy it is!

This is a really good Cajun seasoning.
realcoolchris
Registered Member

Re: Cajun Seasoning recipe

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

realcoolchris wrote:Do not sniff the cayenne to see how spicy it is!

...or the pepper! :lol:

Thanks for the recipe.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 pm

How ironic, I searched for Momma Cherri's cajun seasoning recipe today, due to buyint a jar of pre-made which tasted of sawdust but without the flavour. Momma Cherri uses it on pretty much everything. It is my intention to make up some, although I haven't tried it yet.

Momma’s Cajun seasoning

10g ground cayenne pepper, or chilli powder
10g ground black pepper
10g ground garlic powder
10g ground Coriander
7g dried red chilli flakes
7g white Sugar
60g dried onion flakes
25g Dried mixed herbs
7g grated Nutmeg
50g Salt

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:22 pm

How can they be both called cajun seasoning?
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby realcoolchris » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Momma Cheri's recipe is probably going to be a bit sweeter with the sugar & the coriander although the Morton's recipe has sweet paprika.

Apart from the sugar & nutmeg & coriander, the recipes have much the same ingredients.

How can they both be called Cajun Seasoning? Different recipes from different folks, I guess.

"Cajun" is a distortion of Arcadian, a name given to French settlers in the NE of Canada & the US in the 1750's: displaced by the Brits to Louisiana (New Orleans), some then got moved inland by the Spanish Governor.

They were poor farmers, living off the local produce and those living near the coast would have had different basic ingredients to those living in the swamps. Hence the variations in recipes.

There's a great article on Wikipedia: search for "Cajun".

As sausage lovers, we ought to be aware of two important Cajun dishes, "Cracklin" & "Boudins"

Anyway, you got to love the seasoning and the music.
realcoolchris
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:36 pm

Excellent music and excellent cooking...mmmm...blackened stuff....
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:19 am

johnfb wrote:How can they be both called cajun seasoning?

One is called Mortons Cajun Seasoning and the other is called Momma Cherri's Cajun seasoning, and there are probably thousands more cajun seasoning recipes out there. :roll:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 am

I made Momma Cherri’s Jerk Chicken last night. It was ok, not wow, but quite nice.

Momma Cherri’s Jerk Chicken (Serves 2):

1 bunch of fresh spring onions
1 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley
a few sprigs of fresh coriander
1 red or yellow scotch bonnet chili pepper
1 whole lime
½ lemon
pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning and a pinch of mixed spice
2 tablespoons olive oil for blending
2 chicken quarters

Method:
Wash thoroughly the parsley, coriander and spring onions, discarding any brown or rotten bits. Roughly chop all the vegetables into a bowl. Peel one lime and cut in half, get rid of seeds. Place lime and one chilli in with vegetables. Depending on how hot or not, you can discard the seeds from the chill. At this stage add only ½ of the chilli . Using a hand blender mix all of the above together, at this stage squeeze the juice of the lemon and add the olive oil slowly so that it all blends together nicely. The mixture should be smooth but not pureed . Make sure you taste it. You can add the other half of chilli if you want it hotter. Add the salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and mixed spice. Place the mixture in the fridge, leaving it to chill. You can use it straight away but the flavours increase the longer it sits. Spread the marinade over the chicken pieces and sear on all sides in a hot pan. Place in a preheated oven at 180 ºc gas mark 4 for 50-60 minutes or until cooked through and the juices run clear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/veg ... rita.shtml

So now, I have to use up the rest of the jam jar full of Momma Cherri’s Cajun seasoning. Although, it has inspired me to make some cajun boudins. I'm going to use a traditional recipe with liver, it seems a lot of Americans are a bit squeamish these days about eating offal, so they seem to slowly be taking it out of the original recipe.

Here's the recipe I will be using.

Classic Cajun Boudins

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
Yield: Approximately 16 links
Serves: Approximately 32 people as an appetizer, snack, or side dish.

Ingredients:
2 3/4 pounds pork butt, cut into chunks
1 pound pork liver, cut into pieces
2 quarts spring water
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup minced parsley
1 1/4 cup chopped green onions
6 cups medium-grain rice (cooked)

Method:
Put the pork, liver, water, onions, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours. Drain and reserve 2 cups of the broth. Grind the pork and liver together with 1/2 of the parsley and 1/2 of the green onions in a meat grinder fitted with a 1/4-inch die. Add the rice, and the remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions and mix well. Add the broth, slowly, and mix. Stuff the mixture into sausage casings or otherwise utilize the mixture. If stuffed into casing it should be heated in a steamer or rice cooker. Heat in oven or on the grill for a crisp casing. Serve warm. Freeze leftovers.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Oddley wrote: it seems a lot of Americans are a bit squeamish these days about eating offal,

Doubt they would have liked the minced ox heart pie I made the other day then :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to rubs, marinades and brines