Linking

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Linking

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:31 am

I had a full saturday sausage making yesterday, a full 10 hours from going to buy the meat to packing away and cleaning up. I must say my feet hurt a fair bit at the end. I made a fair few kilo's using 4 of Franco's mixes and if the patties were anything to go by, the bangers will be superb. I bought 3 shoulder joints and a full belly, and I managed to hold about 2 lbs of fat in the freezer for later.

I left the cumberland coiled as per tradition but all the rest were linked. Having read the instructions for linking on this forum a couple of days ago I decided to give it a go. I must say that it doesn't normally happen but I didn't even have to come and look at the instructions again. Once you get the first 3 sausage squeezes marked it is all plain sailing. Confidence is a factor because I started off a bit slow for fear of splitting the casings, but got a lot quicker as confidence built and must say those casings are a lot more resilient than I first thought. I did take a photo... and they did look good if I do say so myself. A resounding success..

Thanks for the info regarding linking.. very clear.

I have uploaded a picture (400 kb) of the result http://www.btinternet.com/~happydudevir/sausages1copy.jpg
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:19 pm

They look good Paul.
10 hours is a long time to be on your feet but I'm sure you'll get quicker at doing it you'll probably be able to halve that time (Providing you don't have to go too far for your meat :) )
You mentioned cumberland, what were the other flavours?

Nice photo BTW, taken with a Fuji FinePix A310 if I'm not mistaken :wink:

BR
Spuddy
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:59 pm

Spuddy, You are correct about the camera.. it's quite basic but it does me.

Regarding the sausage mixes, there's 2 plates of Cumberland, a large plate of Mexican with 8 finely chopped birdseye chillies added to bring the heat up (could have done with a few more), one each of Somerset pork and apple, garlic and herb (very very nice I might add) can't wait for warm BBQ weather.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 am

Silly question, but what plate size did you mince the meat with? I like the rustic look of your mix.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:05 am

Hi Aris, Until I sort out a new plate I am left using the one I have had for years which came with the hand mincer. It has 3/16 holes in. This is approx. cos I don't have any accurate measuring devices, just my old dodgey eyes and a ruler.

What I will say, however, is that It is only my second try at making bangers, and the first ones although delicious had a finer texture and with these ones I summised that if I were to push the meat through with more force then it would hopefully give me a slightly coarser texture. I think that coupled with me manually grinding the meat/fat did give me an unhurried control. ( I shall have to stop using my fingers as a push-stick and turn a proper hardwood one on the lathe, it demands too much concentration, especially when your fingers start to go numb through the coldness of the meat) Anyway, it seemed to work, maybe more by luck than judgement. Or maybe because my first batch was lamb, and this lot were pork. Who knows.. I did hone the blade and plate on my diamond stone prior to starting this batch so maybe that had something to do with it. I mixed the ingredients by hand also in a large stainless steel pot, but did not overmix. Fortunately I kept putting everything in the fridge to keep very cold, maybe this also had something to do with the result.

I think most of the time spent making them was washing the equipment between batches (4 different mixes). Maybe That was a bit of overkill, but I thought it best as I wanted to keep the flavours seperate. Also been reading a lot on the forum about the dangers of cross contamination so am erring on the side of caution.

I must say that both myself and the wife regarded Francos Garlic and Herb mix to be outstanding and I can see I will be buying a lot more. Once we make a bit of room in the freezer I will be attempting to make some Hogs Pudding, probably in a few weeks.

regards
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:46 pm

That's it, pushstick made. Fingers will now stay attached to hand. The point I will make about fashioning a pushstick from wood is that wood can be a harbour for bacteria. I have sealed grain of the pushstick and will take the appropriate action before and after use by giving it a good soak in a tasteless anti-bacterial solution.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Blimey Paul I didn't realise you used a hand mincer for all that meat :shock: .
As far as wood is concerned; a good hard wood with a tight grain harbours less bacteria than a lot of food grade plastics according to some recent studies so I'm sure it'll be fine.
BTW where abouts in SE London are you? I lived in Plumstead, Abbey Wood and Bexleyheath before moving down here.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:55 am

Spuddy, I live in Eltham mate. Used to live in Plumstead for a bit. Moved to Nunhead on the outskirts of Peckham until they started shooting one another.. thought it was time to get out. Ironically I now live in the same road I lived in for the first 11 years of my life.

I had a bit of Roble in my shed, it used to be part of my front door, which has made a small occasional table as a leaving present, and a little push stick. It's one of the lighter hardwoods, not ideal, but a better option than injury.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Return to Beginners