White Pudding

Recipes for all sausages

Postby johnfb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:53 pm

wheels wrote:Many thanks John.

I owe you one.

Are you going to post the recipe for Oddley, given that you've made the latest changes?

Thanks again.

Phil

Posted above, Phil, both recipes I made

john
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Oops. computer hiccups, that didn't appear!

I only used clingfilm as a temporary measure whilst testing small amounts. Given some concerns about it's close contact with food, members should check the film manufacturer's advice regarding this use, or use a casing (large hogs or beef/ox runner) as an alternative.

I can't think for the life of me why I used so little water in the mix, however if casings are used, I'd be careful about increasing it too much (clingfilm is more forgiving than casings). The potato flour was used as it binds before boiling point and so should prevent splitting of the casings by steam. I agree that the oats require a good soaking before use - this will help stop splitting by the oats expanding.

( I didn't have potato flour to hand)

I thought that Eire was the home of the tatty?

I'm back in bed (hope to be up again tomorrow) so it'll be a couple of days before I try the new mix - I look forward to a side-by-side test against the ones that you have kindly sent.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Get healthy soon,Phil, I hope it is not more sores.

Yeah, the side by side test should be good. I did it, but the oatflakes one changed so dramatically the test didn't stand up. Hopefully they will arrive soon, but you know what the postal system is like...

I have the large beef middles, and used them before but I used the cling film to make a skinless pudding. After they cooled down they sliced brilliantly.
This type of pudding would be skinless in Ireland, the more loose blend would have the beef middles around them.

John
Last edited by johnfb on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks John :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:51 pm

wheels, as always get well soon, don't know what it's like, so can only will you to do the best you can. Best wishes.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:55 am

Hey, Oddley thanks. It's just precautionary at the moment, Pauline didn't like the look of the skin where the sore was so I'm on bed-rest! I think it was just a ploy to keep me away from the beer festival at my local! However the landlord has sent me bottles of the beers; so if my 'spellins a bit slured' you'll know the reason. :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:17 pm

My mother in law lives on her own and my wife cooks all her meals for her. So on saturday we gave her the normal Saturday morning fry up...with the new White Pudding.
She gave it 10/10.

So there ya go.....sorted.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Well that's it then - you all heard it, John's MIL approves, so if you make it and don't like it, just keep schtum - else you'll have to answer to her! :evil:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 pm

John

I tried the puddings you sent over from Eire.

What they show seems to be that, as long as it's reasonably white, it can be anything you like! They're so very different.

The larger has hints of polony, but a lot softer paste; the smaller has salt as the dominant flavour and a crumbly, almost crunchy texture from the large pieces of oatmeal.

I think that of the two I prefer the larger; well I did until I saw the ingredients! I'll glow in the dark!

The smaller one is more wholesome:

I was worried about the crunchiness of mine - but the smaller sausage is very similar.

I have to say that I liked neither as much as the recipe that we developed - ours seems to be a good compromise between the two, with a similar flavour profile to the larger one, but IMO you got it better. (There's no praise like self praise!)

The black pudding with oats as a filler is very much in the Scottish style and is a fine example of that spicy style of pudding.

Many thanks for sending them to me.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Well there ya go.
That's the reason I sent over the different types. There is a much softer one too but it would have been squashed in transit. I prefer the blend we came up with too, but nice to know what you are up against and at least you have tried Irish White pudding.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Yes I agree; sorry if my post was a bit negative, but I felt that it was best to say what I thought.

Once again many thanks for taking the time and trouble to send them.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I agree with you Phil, say it like it is.
Those two would be my choice from the variety on offer, but I will stick with my own blend from now own....looking at the list of ingredients you can't argue that making your own is far healthier... :shock:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 am

Had the oatmeal pudding just now on toast. They seem to get better with the "bloom" in the freezer. Very good indeed. Just reheated in the microwave....well worth a go. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Was that one done with medium oatmeal or flaked porridge oats John?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:00 pm

The one with the med oatmeal. the bloom really helps it out.
johnfb
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes