95% hydration question

All about bread

95% hydration question

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 pm

with a ciabatta recipe i got from another site, the dough is made at 95% hdyration. the instructions are to turn the stand mixer on and beat the H out of it for about 10 minutes, until the dough starts to climb, and separates from the sides of the bowl. can someone explain what "separates from the sides means?" does it mean all of the dough pulls away to leave clean metal showing or does it mean that the dough sort of pulls from the sides but leaves a thin lawyer of dough covering the metal. i don't know how to describe it better than that. i beat the H out of it for about 15 minutes, and it still did not separate cleanly from the sides. i would estimate about 10% of the dough was still attached to the sides of the bowl; the rest had formed a ball in the middle of the paddle i was using.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

I wouldn't expect a 95% hydration dough to 'form a ball' in the mixer. It's bound to be a sloppy mess even aafter mixing.

A tip for handling this type of dough is to use oil on your work surface instead of flouring it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Ive looked at this recipe but aint had the guts to try it if you do succeed PLEASE let me know.
Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Which recipe are you both looking at?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Im fairly shure its Jasons quick coccodrillo ciabatta bread from www.thefreshloaf.com.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks Jim
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:21 pm

it was not jason's [90%], but it was a pizza dough [95%], similar recipe. it did form a ball. i estimate about 3/4 of the dough formed a ball, the rest was still adhered to the sides and bottom of the bowl. so i was wondering, when the recipe says to stop mixing when it comes off the side of the bowl, do they mean all of it or most of it?
ps in my experience it's fairly easy to make a consistent ciabatta with this kind of dough.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Wow, I must try this recipe then, high hydration doughs are normally a right pig to handle.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:02 pm

phil

a right pig indeed. i did try a few tricks to make it easier and i can offer them for what they are worth.
i've had luck doing only strectch and fold in the mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon. about 20 folds and that's it.
then i transfer the blob to some parchment paper. then i place the parchment paper onto a doodad that my wife uses to store cakes. this is a round plastic tray with a clear plastic high cover. that way i can watch the dough blob rise.
preheat the oven with the baking stone [walmart pizza stone] in it and, if you want, put the homemade cheap cloche [the orange clay flower pot with a bolt in the hole for a handle] onto the stone to preheat.
when hot, just slide the parchment paper onto the stone and cover with the cloche. uncover after about 12 minutes and let'er rip. see how it turns out. it is usually about a 2" high ciabatta with crisp crust and moist crumb.
probably lots of room for experiment with this recipe. but it is a messy blob.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Some good tips there. I also find one of these very useful for turning dough to the centre:

http://www.kitchenaria.com/Baking-Acces ... _1845.html

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 pm

yes, agree. very useful.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making