Growing in the tropics

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Growing in the tropics

Postby alesypalsy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Hello all, As you can see I am in the philippines and am in a bit of a bind, I dont have the greatest knowledge of growing my own veg in the UK let alone here in this heat, I wonder if anyone could advise me on a site I could read or anyone in similar position could advise me how to grow here, It never frosts so have no idea when to plant/harvest, I am looking at growing all common herbs, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, peppers and turnips/parsnips if possible in this heat? Any advice most welcomed,
Thanks
alesypalsy
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:22 pm

I've lived in Rio, Brazil and in Nigeria, both tropical climates and not unlike where you are. In Nigeria I grew tomatoes, peppers, pineapples, aubergines and a range of herbs, these last in the house as pot plants. In Brazil I had a good potato crop, tomatoes, peppers, chillies, squash, most succulents would probably do well. Beans may be OK, just be aware that everything grows faster, sometimes seeds will germinate overnight. Turnips and parsnips may be difficult, but give it a try you never know. I tried growing in Saudi Arabia but all withered and died, too darned hot.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby alesypalsy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:25 am

Well thanks very much Jenny, the main problem I have is the soil here is terrible, its more like ash as the land here was covered in volcanic ash years ago when mount pinitalubo erupted, I am intending to start a small worm farm in the garden, as for now my house is being built and should be ready to move in around end feb at the latest. So I am ordering seeds and trying to learn as much as possible now on growing my own. Thanks again and if anyone has any tips/hints please post away.
cheers all
alesypalsy
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:51 pm

I live in Honduras. I'm at 14º N which should be about your same Latitude. My garden is very small and we have two small kids so we planted herbs and chilli peppers in planters. Italian parsley, chives, rosemary, basil, thyme, Mexican oregano, Greek oregano, Habanero peppers, etc.

Buy good compost, choose appropiate size of planter, choose proper location for sun exposure, rain, etc., fertilize once or twice a year, and seek advice from a local nursery or agricultural supply regarding local pests and their cycles.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 am

I live in subtropical part of Australia.
Can grow most things all year
Except Brocoli which will only head in winter,I grow Gai Lan(chinese brocoli) all year.
Wet season isnt great for Tomatoes,but you still get some to eat
Strawberrys dont like the wet season either but will grow all other times.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/seeds/se ... areas.html
Check this out for some ideas
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own