3/4 cup water, divided
for the dough
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups warm water (45 degrees C)
6 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons salt

Preparation method
1. To make the starter: Place ½ cup flour and ¼ cup water in a coverable bowl; stir well. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight. The next day, add ½ cup flour and ¼ cup water to the bowl. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight. On the third day, add ½ cup flour and ¼ cup water to the bowl. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight.
2. To make the dough: In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
3. Break the starter into small pieces and add it to the yeast mixture. Stir in 4 cups of flour and the salt. Stir in the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle a little flour over the dough and then cover it with a dry cloth. Let it rise until double in size.
4. Put the dough back onto a lightly floured work surface and punch out the air. Divide the dough in half and knead each piece for 2 to 3 minutes. Shape each piece into a tight oval loaf. Roll and stretch into two loaves until they are approx 30cm diameter. Dust the tops of the loaves with flour. Cover with a dry cloth and let raise in a warm place until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Mist with water 3 times in the first 15 minutes. Loaves are done when their bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Let cool on wire racks before serving.

The recipe made 2 loaves it was very sticky and hard to handle but what a flavour very soft inside , will definitely become the weekly bake
Snags
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks for the recipe! It looks delicious. I will try this.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 am

just killed my mixer making the second batch

its tough on the machine double the usual

Finished by hand will have to work on my manual techniques until I get my next mixer.
Snags
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi All,

I am having a go at making this bread and the starter is on day 2.

What proportion of the sourdough starter can I keep back for feeding and keeping?.

Could this bread be made without the additional yeast or am I running before walking?.

Any guidance greatly appreciated

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:27 pm

In this recipe I used the lot.
The sourdough starter seems to be more for flavour as it there is also 5 teaspoons of yeast.
Its a very nice loaf x 2
I didn't have much experience when I started this one and I was very impressed
Good luck
Just careful not to kill your mixer, like I did, its a lot of dough.
Try halving the amount and doing it in 2 batches

If you are interested in starters read this
http://www.sourdoughbaker.com.au/starters.html
Snags
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks Snags.

I will do as you advise, I will do half the mixture and use half the starter, that way I can keep the starter going for the next loaf.

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making