Yoghurt

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby wheels » Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks Mate. LMFAO :wink:

(That's 'Youf speak' John) :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Sun May 23, 2010 12:47 pm

wheels wrote:Thanks Mate. LMFAO :wink:

(That's 'Youf speak' John) :lol:

youf..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sun May 23, 2010 10:19 pm

I think it would probably work in the easy yo maker, Dave, if it does, let us know what you think of the recipe.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon May 24, 2010 7:53 am

Thanks for the recipe Oddley, I'll give it a go. I usually use an electric yoghurt maker, although I've got one like yours that I picked up in a charity shop.
I used it a couple of time with the recipe I use for the electric one and it was fine. Here's what I used:

500ml UHT whole milk
large tin evaporated milk
natural yoghurt starter. (I usually put in about half a pot)
whisk it all together, makes a nice creamy yoghurt.

Cheers
Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 24, 2010 11:25 am

Hi Jenny.
I was thinking of getting an electric one, but on reflection went for the nonelectric one because, I really don't like leaving things on while I'm asleep. The less electricity I use the better, smaller carbon footprint, plus less money on the bill.

Thanks for the recipe, I hadn't thought of using evaporated milk.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 pm

i tried phil's thermos method with excellent results. however, i spent 12 minutes microwaving the whole milk, because all recipes say it is necessary to heat milk to at least 180F to "prepare the proteins." I also spent another 15 minutes cooling it to 110F before pitching the starter. that was a boring half hour.

it seems the yoghurt making machines just call for adding the starter to the cold milk and then heating the whole thing at 110F for 6 hours [or more], to taste. this sounds a lot easier, but...

does this mean it is not really necessary to pre-heat the milk to at least 180F in order to "prepare the proteins?"

has anyone made great yoghurt [smooth, creamy, slightly sweet/tart] without the 180F pre-heat, no matter what the method??

is the 180F preheat critical?
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I've always wondered that too - is the heating part just a leftover from days before pasteurised milk, or does it serve some other purpose?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 am

I just bought an electric one will give it a go when I make some room in the fridge.

I tried the putting it in an Esky (foam box),all i got was runny warm milk.

My mum used to just make it put it in glasses and then in a pot wrapped in a blanket worked everytime.(hers was thick and sour like I like it)
No thermometer just her finger.
I wish I paid more attention.
Saw a doco on a Greek yoghurt maker who put the yoghurt in what looked like cotton pillow cases with draw strings left them draining then jarred them up.
Looked good
Snags
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:24 pm

actually, if one could do without the 180F heating then cooling process, this whole thing would be a lot easier.
i used phil's thermos method twice with excellent/perfect results. waaaay over the top. creamy but thick enough to hold up a teaspoon. tart with buttery/creamy sweetness as an aftertaste. the third time i took the actual bowl in which it had cooled to 110F, pitched the starter and set the bowl on a heating pad inside my bread rising chamber [turned onto "high," it reached a steady 114F believe it or not, according to my IR thermometer] for 8 hours for a perfect result.
i think i will just try to do this without the 180F pre-heat and see what happens. the recipe would be:
1 qt cold whole milk
add 2 TBLSP starter
mix
put plate on top of bowl
set bowl into covered dough-rising chamber [cloudy $8 plastic storage container fom sprawl mart]
place on top of heating pad set to high for 8 hours
cool in fridge

if i live, i'll report
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 am

still healthy. no pre-heat. simply took cold whole milk and pitched starter. placed into covered bowl and set onto heating pad [temp about 114F]. after 6 hours into fridge overnight.
tart, very smooth, no hint of graininess or lumps, firm enough to hold a teaspoon straight upright. i would say i will no longer pre-heat, thereby saving myself about 1/2 hour per batch. also, if i wanted, i could use several empty large plastic yogurt/cottage cheese containers instead of a bowl. they would be convenient to cover and store.
still, the result was not quite as good as phil's method.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general