Elephant Garlic

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Elephant Garlic

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:18 am

Anyone grow or use this? I was given some the other day to plant but i don't know much about it. Tips would be appreciated.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I have grown it but much prefer regular garlic. I seperate the cloves and plant about 6" deep 6" apart in rows 12" apart, in the fall about 3 weeks before a killing frost. That is usually in the first week of November. It requires full sun, lots of water and rich soil. Frequent weeding and is ready mid to late july. I then pull it out of the ground, wash the dirt off, cut off the tops and roots and dry for a week on my drying rack. I then put it in onion bags and hang in my garage for further drying and usage.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks, do you think it could be used in leek sausage.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

Jogeephus wrote:Thanks, do you think it could be used in leek sausage.

I think its quite a bit stronger than leeks but It might be excellent too. You can't have too much garlic. LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

My dad has had some in his garden for over 20 years ,just planted one head.
Its a great plant he uses it as you would use leeks or spring onions.
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks, I don't think I can grow leeks here but I know I can grow these so I'll give them a try. Been wanting to expand my spice selection.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 pm

I grow leeks in NC and you should be able to get them to grow in GA. Early in the Spring, dig a 6-8" trench to start them in and add dirt to it as they grow to maximize the white portion. If you have good luck with onions, you'll be fine with leeks. Garlic will also do well where you live, my dad used to grow it when he lived outside of Atl.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Elephant garlic

Postby Sam Newman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:06 am

Hi I have been growing elephant garlic for 12 years. I realy like it. It's actually in the onion family and make for great roasting. especially those big singles you get popping up. Pick the flower heads just before they open, they taste great steamed and served with butter and pepper. I make soup with this variety and use lots of it as boiling takes away most of the hottness. It is quite mild anyway. So yes. Use instead of or aswell as leaks. Hope thats some help to you. Sam.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby Sam Newman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 am

Just planted my Elephant Garlic. Most people plant on the shortest day here (mid winter), but I like to plant at the end of summer. I get nearly a whole year of growth this way. Big Fat bulbs! Lots of water in the dry time is the trick. Also heavy feeding and well mulched.
My theory is, "If it can grow now, it must be ready to sow."
I have a beautiful little microclimate in the valley where I live, so I do have an advantage there. It's a real heat trap and we very rearly have a drout. Happy planting to all the Spring time planters in the other side of the world. :D
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Re: Elephant Garlic

Postby ChickenJane » Tue May 19, 2015 7:21 pm

I've grown E G on & off for years. It's actually much closer related to Leek that it is to true Garlic. The yields, as several correspondents have noted, are very good.
My problem is that some years it has a funny slightly bitter & not very nice under flavour that comes out a few seconds after the initial 'YUM'.
Has anyone else noticed this? & if so, any explanation???
ChickenJane
Newly Registered

Re: Elephant Garlic

Postby Slarti » Tue May 19, 2015 8:51 pm

I noticeed that when I used it in the past, as well, Jane. That, along with the lack of intense flavour that normal garlic has, is the reason I grow regular garlic only these days.

It's a pity, as the huge cloves are so much more convenient.

Is sulphur content the answer to your other question? It is still evident even when nicely roasted.
Slarti
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own