Skinning salmon for cold smoking...and other questions

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:54 am

wheels wrote:Yes, but just a taste on Saturday as the flavour will develop over a couple of days post-smoking. You could cut the 36 hours drying down - I do about 12.

Phil

OK...I'm washing it off this morning and giving it its bath. Then dry it during the day and if it looks ready tonight I'll smoke it overnight...otherwise I'll wait 'till tomorrow night.
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:43 am

Like Phil I do not weigh out how much I apply, although I do weigh out my mix, I use 3 parts salt to 1 part sugar, then apply a small amount to the bottom of a plastic container, laying the first side skin down, apply a liberal amount to the flesh side and place the second side on top of this, flesh down before lightly covering the skin. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge, usually around 12 hours. Rinse off the following morning, leave for 24 hours in the fridge to dry. Bring the fish out of the fridge a couple of hours before I want to start smoking, to avoid condensation of the smoke on to the fish. I smoked my last one for 10 hours using the ProBBQ CSG.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 am

Richierich wrote:Like Phil I do not weigh out how much I apply, although I do weigh out my mix, I use 3 parts salt to 1 part sugar, then apply a small amount to the bottom of a plastic container, laying the first side skin down, apply a liberal amount to the flesh side and place the second side on top of this, flesh down before lightly covering the skin. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge, usually around 12 hours. Rinse off the following morning, leave for 24 hours in the fridge to dry. Bring the fish out of the fridge a couple of hours before I want to start smoking, to avoid condensation of the smoke on to the fish. I smoked my last one for 10 hours using the ProBBQ CSG.

Good last tip....hadn't occured to me about the condensation :idea: .
The two woods I have avaliable for making the wood dust are beech and plum. I presume either would be fine?

cheers
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I learnt the hard way, first one went from fridge to smoker and the thing ended up looking like I had creosoted it.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 pm

kevster wrote:The two woods I have avaliable for making the wood dust are beech and plum. I presume either would be fine?

Both should be fine - I use a beech and oak mix and beech is preferred commercially (according to Ashwood Smoking Chips - a major supplier). It surprised me as I thought it would be oak. I'm guessing that plum will give a nice fruity taste.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:27 pm

kevster wrote:OK...went with 25g sea salt and 15g sugar per kg of salmon as I'm curing it in bags (had to split side into three to get into bags). After 8 hours in the cure I will take it out and give it a whiskey bath before drying for 36 hours (going this long as it gets me through to Friday night) when I will smoke it overnight. This should line up perfectly with a saturday brunch to tests the smokiness of the salmon...howz that for a plan 8)

Spot on :D Plum is very nice to smoke with.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Super....I think I'll give plum a go then. Having looked at the salmon it still looks a bit wet, so I'll probably wait 'til tomorrow night. From the temp gauge on the car I don't think I'll need to worry too much about overheating...it was 10.5oC and it was only 6pm.
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Fish curing