Coriander rushing to seed

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Coriander rushing to seed

Postby Dazzajapan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:57 am

I have never had much luck with Coriander in Japan.I used to grow lovely cilantro in Australia,but I think the humidity in Japan during the rainy season etc does not agree with Coriander.
I have never had any success in getting rich leaf growth here..always spindly and rushing to seed.

Any Coriander tips folks?
Dazzajapan
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:26 pm

I have the same problem. I've heard that they bolt to seed if the soil gets too dry, as a survival mechanism, but I haven't been able to stop them bolting.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:29 pm

I only grew it once - I got loads of seed but very little leaf. Perhaps planting loads of seed close together and picking it young (as per supermarket pots) is the way to go? (you seem to get less flavour that way though)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Zulululu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi not sure if this will help, but I take whole seeds put them on a board then go over them lightly with a polling pin they break up into thirds or quarters .I then put some river sand down on the soil,make a line with my finger in the sand about 15 mm deep then cover them with the sand.Make a new line every three weeks appart.The roots grow through the sand into the soil below.You can scatter some LAN in between the rows.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Dazzajapan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am

cheers zuluzulu..will have a go at that!
Dazzajapan
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:30 pm

I've grown it this year in my small salad bed and it has come up nice and leafy. I keep cutting the larger leaves for curries mainly (we have 2-3 a week) and new leaves keep coming up. This has been planted in a fairly shady spot which I think helps.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 am

There are 2 types of corriander one is grown for the dry seed, the other for leaf roots and stems.
Same variety, just different breeding.
Look for slow bolting variety on the seed packet

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/corchinpar.html
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Goodness me, Snag.

I've been a fellow (they're now called members) of the RHS for 50 years and that's the first tme I've ever heard that!!

As someone who gave up growing coriander because it always rushes up to seed, I now "only" have to see if I can get some of that!

For what it's worth, I think that they need lots of water and not too much direct sunlight. But I'm uniquely ill qualified to give ANY advice.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Mrs. Northerner » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:51 am

Sorry, I can see this is an old thread, but I was just about to post this exact same question. I planted two lots of coriander last year and they both went to seed immediately. Much to my disgust my brother-in-law in Burnley says his coriander grows like a weed. So by deduction I would say mine got too much sunlight and not enough water (Burnley is grey and wet whenever I visit!!!).

I think I will try again this year but in a shadier part of the garden. Will keep posted.

Nic
Mrs. Northerner
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 am

We lived next to an Indian family a few years ago. He used to put almost all his back garden to coriander, watered it daily, and always had good crops to sell to the local Asian shop. He also told me that there are two types of coriander, so there may be some truth in this.

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Some US seed merchants sell both types.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I was in the shops yesterday and they had " for seed" and "slow seeding" coriander on the seed packets Brand was Yates (don't know if that goes anywhere but Australia)
http://www.yates.com.au/products/seeds/ ... e-parsley/
another alternative is sawtooth coriander that doesn't bolt to seed and has a similar flavour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium_foetidum
Snags
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I will look into that, as I have to admit I'd just about given up on growing the stuff...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Grow your own