Help! Fat jamming up my mincer.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Help! Fat jamming up my mincer.

Postby Hepsibah » Thu May 12, 2005 8:38 am

Hi all. I'm ready to make my first sausages. I've bought all the equipment and ingredients, but I have a problem. The mincer I'm using (an old cast iron one) won't mince the lamb without jamming. I'm using shoulder lamb cut into 1" cubes and I don't get a teaspoon of mince before it clogs up. The meat is chilled to the point where it numbs my fingers to hold it and I'm using the large holed mincer plate. Am I doing something wrong or is the mincer at fault? :?
Thanks, Hep
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu May 12, 2005 9:44 am

Is it a new mincer? Are the blades sharp?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Hepsibah » Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 am

No, it's a very old mincer and I don't know how to tell if the blades are sharp or not cos it's my first try. :oops:
I'm not planning to use it forever, I'm getting a kenwood chef with the mincer/stuffer attachment for my birthday, but that's in October and I'm very impatient. :lol: I was given this mincer by a neighbour who has had it since forever and has never used it. It's a spong 10.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu May 12, 2005 10:33 am

I've never used a manual mincer, but it sounds to me like the blades aren't sharp, or the blade isn't in close enough contact with the plate.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu May 12, 2005 11:02 am

Yes, it sounds like the blade and plate have lost their edge. I have been using a manual mincer till yesterday and used to hone the blade and plate by rubbing it up and down a medium diamond stone, making sure to keep them both flat by continuous even pressure to the centre. You will be amazed at the difference. I generally did both sides of the plate.
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Hepsibah » Thu May 12, 2005 11:41 am

Thanks a bunch, I've asked my lovely neighbour to sharpen it for me and he's doing it now. :D I'm really looking forward to eating some real sausages tomorrow.
Hepsibah
Registered Member

Re: Help! Fat jamming up my mincer.

Postby othmar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:41 pm

Hepsibah wrote:Hi all. I'm ready to make my first sausages. I've bought all the equipment and ingredients, but I have a problem. The mincer I'm using (an old cast iron one) won't mince the lamb without jamming. I'm using shoulder lamb cut into 1" cubes and I don't get a teaspoon of mince before it clogs up. The meat is chilled to the point where it numbs my fingers to hold it and I'm using the large holed mincer plate. Am I doing something wrong or is the mincer at fault? :?
Thanks, Hep

Some of my answers I will give you here have been adressed before.
The reasons for your dilema may be as follows.
1. Blades are not sharp. Sharpen the cutting blade by setting it flat on to a sheet of metal sandpaper and run the dic with light preassur back and forth the length of the sand paper sheet.
2. Blades are assembeld the wrong way.
3. The meat is not cut free of all the tenons and membranes. This is a problem with most smaller hand operated meat grinders (mincers) they are not strong enough to handle tenons and other tough part of the meat including fatty tissue.
4. You grind to slowely, for the discs to cut properly they need momentum and speed.
5. To much meat is stuffed in to the grinder. Feed the meat in a steady stream in to the grinder.

Hope this will help you to achieve better results.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby grant » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:32 pm

I also have an OLD hand mincer. It is a 'Husqvarna" (they used to make motorbikes aswell) It dates from the 1930s.
The first thing I would do is to make sure you have assembled the blades and plates properly (you tend not to get a user's manual from the 1930s)
Secondly, it is very important to 'anchor' the machine very firmly to a table etc. you can then put all your effort into making sausage and not holding the damn thing down!
I had so much trouble with mine that I used to select my meat from the butcher and have him mince it. I would then add my herbs and spices and put the meat through without the cutting blade (just stuffing the cases I suppose)
I know the above will not meet with aproval from the afficionado's but you still get to make your own sausages with your own spices etc.

Hope this helps,

Grant
grant
Registered Member

Postby grant » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:37 pm

As a follow on to my last post; Even with my meat being minced for me, I still found it very laborious so I hooked up my electric drill to the drive.
The outcome was very good but I dont think my electric drill was too impressed.

Grant.
grant
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:11 pm

I have a porkert hand mincer and have come across the same problem. The way I have overcome this is by buying mince from the supermarket. Why have a dog and bark yourself. The meat is cheap and good quality. When I grow up I will buy a top bollocks mincer from Franco, and buy half a pig from a local farm. But at present Tesco will do.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:08 pm

Grant and Shaun.

Hand operated meat grinders (mincers) are always a pain in the back side.
The problem with these gadgets is that there is no way to get enough momentum going to get the speed that is needed to grind (mince) the tougher parts of the meat such as fat and gristle.
I can't remember where but there is a company which sells a electric motor that can be hooked up to a hand operated grinder (mincer).
In my humble opinion it is much better to fork out more money and buy an electric meat grinder which can handle at least five pounds in one go in the long run this will solve a lot of hassle and disapointments.

Regards
Othmar
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Diann » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:35 am

I have a Kenwood mincer (which I lurve) and whenever I have a problem mincing, it is always because of:

1. Blade in backwards :shock: :shock:
2. Sinews in the meat

Diann
Diann
Registered Member

Return to Beginners