Storing Fresh Chillis

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Postby grisell » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:10 pm

The really hot ones are ok frozen raw. As said, they get mushy, but the taste isn't affected.

I also recommend this if you have lots of them:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... highlight=
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 am

Back to the original topic, do I need to do anything to them before smoking them?? Was hoping to get a couple of goes through the CSG this weekend with a few.

Was gonna throw them in whole and give them a few goes with smoke, do I need to try and raise the temp a little to promote dehydration, can I do this after smoking?? Thought about piercing the skin with a pin in a few places, will that affect anything?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Sam Newman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:14 am

Give it a go Rich. Try some with holes, some cut open and some whole. We dryed about half a ton of Cayen chillies for a sauce but my mates walk in dehydrator was leaking so they came out slightly smoked. Tasted ok tho. Has anyone tryd storing them in honey? The larger ones are best cut up into chunks but the smaller varietys can be stored whole. I recomend heating the honey with the chillies in but be careful not to boil as it changes the molecular structure of the sugars in the honey. The mixture can then be bottled or jard at any temperature. I store lots of things in honey. Thankyou mr honey bee. :wink:
You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him a horse.
Sam Newman
Registered Member

Location: Raetea Forest, Maungataniwha Ranges, Far North of Aotearoa New Zealand

Postby drinky » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:42 am

they will air dry nicely in a colinder left on the counter
TEQUILA!
drinky
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum, drinky! :D
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Experimenting is always good, however, by far and large the best way to store hot chiles is freezing them, better if under vacuum. There is no question about that. Not only freezing will maintain the "heat", but also the fragrant properties typical of each variety. Jalapeno, Habanero, Thai, granma's ... they all taste different. Organoleptic properties of each variety rely much on volatile compounds. Frozen under vacuum they'll keep for years.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 pm

I just read this recipe for Soy Pickled jalapenos, over on a wood fired pizza blog.

I may have to try this!

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/in ... penos.html
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

I grow a lot of Chillies usually the long "Finger" type or Cayennes. Too many to use fresh, so either sun dry OR a very good alternative is to make a Harissa paste with them - Simply zip down in a processor the de stalked chillies & mix with olive oil, ground cumin & ground coriander - Mix to a stiff paste & make sure that there is a level of oil on top of the paste when settled, that way there are no issues with preservation. Store in a glass screw top jar & keep in fridge after opening - Keeps for months even after opening.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Re: Storing Fresh Chillis

Postby ratman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I freeze mine in a vacuum pack and they keep and re-use well. Like all frozen veg they do go a little limp but still perfectly edible
For all things country and great recipes http://www.countryways.uk.com
ratman
Registered Member

Postby slemps » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 am

I freeze some, dry some, smoke some, pickle some and make sauce out of the rest. That covers most bases!

The problem I had this year was that half my (large) crop got eaten by a rat!!!
slemps
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 am

Don't be surprised at rodents eating chillis, years ago I sowed a tray of 30 chilli seeds and placed it in the green house. The next day every seed had been dug out and eaten by a wood mouse. I thought that they would have been too hot for its anglo saxon palate, but maybe he was related to the cartoon mouse speedy Gonzales !

Re' storing them - all I used to do was pull the whole plant up when ready and hang it upside down in the poly tunnel to dry on the vine so to speak. Once completely dry I would take them off and store in paper bags in a cool dry dark place (cupboard).
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I have birds eating my birds eye chillis from the bush
Dad would hang chillies to dry strung up under the eaves on the sunny side.
My ones dry out in the fruit bowl (small thin ones)
I usually grab a pizza tray full of the bishops caps and roast them
Then blend with vinegar and salt add tomato sauce and seal the jars and boil them
Its a great chilli sauce for sausages.
Wife and I have it for breakfast
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby slemps » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Capsaicin (the oil in chillies that gives them heat) only affects mammals. So I can understand birds eating them, but rats and mice? They must love the heat! I lost 3kgs+ in two weeks!

Back to one of the older questions, for smoking chillies, I cut them in half. It is also best to use thick fleshed varieties like Jalapenos.

In my experience it takes a LOT of smoke to get the desired flavour (once dried and ground). Using a ProQ CSG, I'd be looking to give each batch at least 5 burns. You then dry them out in a dehydrator or very low oven.

The last step before grinding is removing the seeds and stalks. While this is a royal PITA, the resulting powder is significantly more coloured and flavoured.

S.
slemps
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Grow your own