Curing / Drying Chorizo

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

OK

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Tue May 10, 2005 5:48 pm

OK guys, will try the 1.5 Grams per lb and see how it goes !....it's all going on this weekend, Sausages, Bacon, a Ham and Chorizo, will keep you posted !.....Gonna be a busy one !!!
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:40 pm

I have purchased some LS25 starter culture from Franco, and although I understand the basic principle of it initially lowering the PH value making it harder for bacteria to breed, is there a reason for such rigid weight measurement of the culture?
Is it because it contains nitrites/nitrates like cure #2 and is potentially dangerous :?:

Just being inquisitive.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Paul I don't believe the culture contains anything but the culture (does that make sense?). Probably the rigid weight measurement is for economical reasons rather than anything else. It's quite expensive. But it is always best to stick to manufacturers recommendations I suppose.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:19 pm

Oddley

Thanks mate, I will take it that it's not too critical weight wise. I shall attempt to stay as near to recipe as I can for the reasons you outline. It's like an untouchable bar of silver sitting in the freezer at present. I still haven't got a set of fine scales, although there is a bloke in OZ selling some on Ebay that seem to go quite cheaply. Might try the division of a teaspoon method before I commit to purchasing some more scales. That is all provided I can sort out somewhere where they can mature that is the right humidity and temperature, and on that note I must say that it would seem I need another digital instrument.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:57 pm

Paul, it IS just a matter of economy. The lactobacillus starter is just a means of introducing lactic acid bacteria into the meat.
During the initial fermentation period the bacteria multiply and adjust naturally the pH of the mixture as it produces lactic acid; which acts as a preservative and also flavours the meat (producing the slight acid/tangy flavour).
The LS bacteria feed on natural sugars in the meat so has only a limited life as when it's food is exhausted it can no longer reproduce, therefore if you add too much then it has less work to do and so the excess is wasted.
However if you add too little then it may not have the capacity to start multiplying.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:10 am

Spuddy

Thanks for the explanantion.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Scales

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:19 am

Paul,

I bought some of these scales from Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 99714&rd=1

They work very well indeed, and if you keep an eye out as I did, you will get a set of these at a beter price from this guy...however �19.99 inc postage is quite good, and I got mine next day !...

I made some Chorizo a few weeks ago inckuding some beef ones with some read wine, however only using Cure #2 and they developed a lovely bloom of black mould....all went to the bin :( ....

I had another day of sausage making on Saturday as I am making every month now for people at my work, so made 40 packs, was tired at the end of it !...

I also made a new batch of Chorizo and used the starter culture as well as cure # 2. they have a nice colour to them but as the weather is so unpredictable at the moment, will be transferring to my "sausage" fridge to dry rather than in my celler, as I dont want to waste anymore.

My dry cure ham that I did a couple of months ago is doing rather nicely, although would prefer somemore airflow around it, I took another one of out the salt yesterday, that is going to be hung to dry tomorrow I think, when I remember where I stashed the muslin to wrap it in...was toying with the idea of leaving it in a molasses bath for a couple of weeks first, so might find some molasses !...

Anyway, try those scales, I can recommend them !

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:20 am

Yorkie

I have now bought the set shown on the ebay link. Thanks. I did keep looking before but have now taken the step. I see that the same company also do finer scales.. too late now.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:02 pm

You will be fine with what you just got Paul, I too saw the finer scales after I had bought, but I have no complaints at all about the ones we now both have. how fine do you want to go ?...those ones go down to 0.1 g !

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Yorkie

Those should be OK, it gives me the option to purchase another set later on if needed.
:roll:

As it is, tonight I will get "what do you need another set of scales for?" from the good lady.. :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:53 pm

LOL....luckily my OH is all for what I am up to, and wehave the local EHO coming round in a few weeks to look at my plans for a new kitchen in my garage under the house, so if all looks good, may convert and start up a little earner !....

I have 3 sets of scales at present and am looking for a big set now, I borrowed a set from work when I did the last whole pig to measure the stuff out as it was easier than using my smaller set with the big containers on...Something that goes up to 20kgs is my next set on the "wish" list, again, Ebay is a great place to look.

I get 75% of my other supplies from a supplier up in Scotland, Rusk for instance at �15.99 for 25 kgs, 2 Hanks of casings �13.49 and other very good prices across the board, good if your making quantity !...

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners