Tuscan Salami Mold

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Tuscan Salami Mold

Postby chefmp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:11 am

I am new to this site and new to the salami world. I have a 5# batch of tuscan salami curing at 58 degrees. The white mold started to grow on it, as well as blue. The white has over run the blue though and it is fading away. My concern is that the white mold is fuzzy. Can this be saved? I have a 19% moisture loss as off right now and soem of the dry mold has formed on the surface. Please help me! Thanks everyone.

C
Christian Perry
chefmp
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 am

Welcome to the forum Christian,

I would just wipe down with a vinegar/water solution, and if you can source it, use a mould starter culture or place a shop bought already moulded salami in the vicinity of the ones you are drying.

There are many points of view on moulds in the charcuterie world, what some would consider bad, others consider no problem at all. Some say that white and dry is ok and that any other colour and/or fuzzy is bad, but that is simply not the case, as is illustrated in this thread on EGullet. Or here, not salami related but this is still a mould/fungi and is edible and quite delicious.

Sometimes the smell test is the best judge, if it smells good eat it, if it smells bad don't!

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

black mold

Postby chefmp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

What about black mold under the casing? I feel its a lost cause.
Christian Perry
chefmp
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Bin it mate. :cry:

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:31 pm

I think we would all agree with Oddley on that, black mould is never a good sign!

Any chance of some photographs by the way, it may help others in future.

Richard
tristar
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 pm

black mold under the casing? this is an obvious question, but, if you used whole peppercorns, could it be a peppercorn? i really cannot imagine any mold under the casing. other than blue veined cheese, i do not remember ever seeing a mold inside of any foodstuff; only on the outer surface.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm

What about black mold under the casing? I feel its a lost cause.

Chuck it dude! I've had this before and it spreads pretty quick. Strange how this mould seems to be able to get through the casing, not even a good white mould will save it now. :( :(

Keep on trying though and welcome to the forum

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:34 pm

What starter culture did you use for the mould?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby chefmp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 am

Thank you all for the welcome. It is good to knwo that there are people with similar interests and issues.

As far as the salami goes, I gave it a vinegar and water bath. All the white and blue/green mold came off. It revealed the black mold. At least I thought it was. It never scraped off. I also cut into one and the black mold never gor legs and ran throughout the salami.

No since that day, I put the ther three sticks back in just to observe what they do, and the dry white mold grew back stronger than ever. I can no longer see any "black mold". In fact, I think the "black mold" has started to fade away all together. I will check the weight loss this week and see the progress.

Thanks again on all your advice. I will keep you updated.
Christian Perry
chefmp
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:25 am

Christian,

I recently made a batch of Salami, and thought at one point that I had mould under the skin, it turned out to be black peppercorn, nothing sinister at all, I believe somebody upthread mentioned this as a possibility.

If you leave them to maturation and then slice into them you will soon enough know if it was actually mould or not.

Richard
tristar
Registered Member

Re: Tuscan Salami Mold

Postby Cavaleiros » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:03 pm

I've encountered a very similar problem. Made Tuscan salami and to experiment, I sprayed 2 of the sticks with a surface mold and left 2 of them without surface mold. All four sticks are drying nicely (the sprayed ones are covered in a nice white mold after just 2 weeks!) though I've noticed a few dark spots inside the casing of one of the un-sprayed salamis. The spots still look pretty innocent but having never experienced black mold I don't know what it should look like. Tried to attach an image here but I'm a newbie and can't seem to figure it out. :shock: Could this be black pepper? Not sure... [img]/Users/nelsonferreira/Desktop/IMG_3011.JPG[/img]
Cavaleiros
Registered Member

Postby Cavaleiros » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:07 pm

file:///Users/nelsonferreira/Desktop/IMG_3011.JPG
Cavaleiros
Registered Member

Postby Cavaleiros » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:16 pm

OK so I've managed to upload the image...who thinks this is black mold?

https://imgur.com/gXmSS92
Cavaleiros
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 pm

To me, it looks to be under the casing. probably pepper. just keep your eye on it..
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Cavaleiros » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks McG. It's looking good!
Cavaleiros
Registered Member

Return to Beginners