pork pies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Spuddy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:37 pm

From my experience as a chef I would agree with Paul Kribbs' comment that freezing pastry raw has no discernible effect on the quality of the cooked product whereas freezing cooked pastry can result in a dryer texture.
I would say though that if freezing the whole pie raw that it be allowed to thaw completely before cooking. In theory it COULD be cooked from frozen but there are too many variables (i.e. density of the stuffing, whether rusk/moisture has been added, size of the pie etc) to be able to estimate easily the recommended cooking times for frozen. So unless you have a meat thermometer I would say thaw it first and use the cooking times shown in Paul Kribbs' recipe.
Last edited by Spuddy on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Spuddy

I agree with your comments, but would add to what I said in my previous post regarding cutting down on water volume especially if you intend to freeze. Reason being that when water freezes it causes crystals which expand and could possibly affect the texture of the pastry once thawed. I have no evidence to back this up, but it would seem logical to me. If anyone knows different I would be most interested.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:39 pm

Wilf wrote:The Pork belly sounds a great idea with the jerk paste, will try it as Ive only used it on chicken........if weather will permit a BBQ again

I do a roast pork belly covered in a homemade jerk seasoning (which has 6 habaneros in although I don't use all the marinade in one go).

I roast it directly on the oven rack with a tray of spuds (skins still on) below to roast in the rendered fat. They actually end up the spicier of the two.

Here's the jerk recipe I use. I think it's pretty authentic.

1 jar ground allspice berries
1/2+ cup packed brown sugar
6 to 8 garlic cloves
4 to 6 Scotch bonnet peppers (complete with seeds)
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
2 bunches spring onions
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of two limes

It should keep forever really. Nothing nasty can live in those fiery conditions.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:10 pm

Josh

That sounds like my kind of cooking, very nice indeed. How long do you marinate the belly for prior to cooking?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 pm

How much is '1 jar' of allspice berries?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Josh » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:27 am

1 jar was just the whole of a tub of ground allspice (make sure it's pimento and not the generic allspice used in cake making) from sainsbury. Just your standard little glass things herbs and spices come in.

I rubbed it down the night before and left it in the fridge overnight.

Had a look at the pot in the fridge earlier. I reckon I only used 2 or 3 tablespoons of the jerk for the pork (a handful maybe) and there's a good couple of hundred ml left. It's been there for about 9 months and still looks and smells edible.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:39 am

I have a jar like that (Schwartz brand) and it says 29 grams.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Josh » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:52 am

That's the size then. Just wack all of one of those in or 29 grams if you've got a bigger container.

The jerk would probably make a pretty tasty sausage too. I may have to give it a go.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:31 pm

Josh

Try the jerk in a sausage, I reckon it needs a hint of sweetness, something like apple.. It's beautiful with mango chutney in the mix. Even the wife was impressed, only a couple of teaspoons per kilo does the trick. Once I regain some room in the freezers I may well make some of you jerk recipe and compare to the commercially available Dunnes River Jerk Paste, which is very good.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general