Salami Drying Temperatures

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby squidbait » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 am

Hello all, new here. This thread was perfect timing as this is what I came searching for. I have my first batch of salami curing. My chamber hovers between 78% and 82% R.H. and I can't seem to bring it down. I have a computer fan pulling in fresh air and just added a tray of rock salt (maybe panicking already). I was concerned about the humidity as I was targeting 60% R.H.. My temperature is nice and stable at +/-2 degrees.

My first concern was mold, the second was "the unknown", being my first time. It looks like many people cure at these levels as it is. It looks like my nice new humidifer is going to get very little work. I haven't weighed any yet, as they have only been in the cure stage for 3 days now. But now I feel much better now knowing that I am not alone, and may not have an issue.....great site!
squidbait
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 am

I wouldn't worry. There is a lot of water that has to leave the sausages in the so this will definitely through your humidity up some. Might just want to open your door for a few minutes to an hour. Towell off the inside if there is dampness.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 am

saucisson wrote:Whenever I try and make a big salami it seems to end up crumbly, could this be a drying issue? My thinner chorizo's turn out fine in the same environment.

Hope this is On topic enough...

How big and what are we meaning by crumbly? Environment should not be a problem unless you are using the airing cupboard?? :oops: :shock:
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 pm

saucisson wrote:Whenever I try and make a big salami it seems to end up crumbly, could this be a drying issue? My thinner chorizo's turn out fine in the same environment.

Hope this is On topic enough...

Making a big salame is tricky, and requires a lot of skill to case without air pockets. I tried once a 110mm one, and sure enough i had air pockets. That could be causing your crumbling, or it could be you didn't mix it long enough to have a good bind in the meat..
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Re: Salami Drying Temperatures

Postby neilw » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Just thought I would add my comments on temp and humidity
Based in the UK and making chorizo which cures in around 10 days.
I currently use an airing cupboard which sits around 18 to 20deg C and RH 40 TO 50
Looking to up production and make a curing cabinet so any and all advice would be welcome
Thanks in advance
Neil
neilw
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:25 am

Welcome.

Those are not temperatures that I would be happy with.

The bacteria Staph. Aureus becomes far more active above 15.6C, so I would always choose to keep temperatures below that.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Good morning all, US time

I’ve just started making salami so I not expert but I keep mine at 53 degrees, 11.6c, at about 80% humidity. I also have a problem with humidity fluctuations. It seem water collects at the bottom of the refrigerator so I wipe it down, which helps a lot. Its good for a couple days then it repeat.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:17 pm

They're good temps and RH to work with. Maybe drop the RH if you can as the salami becomes drier. Fridges can be a right kerfuffle - I guess it's inevitable in such a small space that the slightest change will have a big effect.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques