Whaler's Beef

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby saucisson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:11 am

Last edited by saucisson on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby grisell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 am

I see no reason to doubt the figures. Not everything on Wikipedia is correct, but that doesn't mean that most of it must be incorrect. Anyway, I'm aware that whaling is controversial and everyone is entitled to his own opinion. The reason that most of the whales are endangered today is because of earlier whaling. Whaling today is a marginal phenomenon and I'm not in support of uncontrolled whaling. I'd just be happy if Norway could export some of their whale meat to Sweden. It doesn't mean that they should increase their hunting.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:18 am

saucisson wrote:A somewhat different point of view here: http://www.greenpeace.org/international ... n-whaling/

Mmm. :? But that article is about illegal whaling which I don't support. Illegal hunting worldwide isn't limited to whales. I was refering to controlled quota.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 am

Read it again, it is mostly about the resumption of Norwegian commercial whaling begun in 1993. Illegal whaling is only mentioned right at the end.

By the way, the Atlantic population is estimated at around 100,000. Greater than 700,000 is more likely the world population most of which (670,000) are in the Antarctic...

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 pm

grisell wrote: Anyway, I'm aware that whaling is controversial

And I suspect that is the reason for the original post :wink:
Frank
Frank
Registered Member

w beef

Postby dorsets21 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

would this work with seal meat
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Re: w beef

Postby grisell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:49 pm

dorsets21 wrote:would this work with seal meat

:shock: No idea. :?
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Dodo burger anyone.....
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:54 pm

I was wondering if "inflamatory" is spelled with 1 m or 2 ms ...
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Also, between eating venison and whale meat there is a HUGE difference. In the first case you go out, blast your ass up and down the mountains, get bruised, snowed upon, rained upon, confronted by bears or other top predators and then EVENTUALLY you kill your quarry yourself. You shoot, YOU see the transformation from a magnificent animal into meat. In so doing one learns (unless he or she is stupid) something that cannot be learned otherwise. It is not the first time (and I am not talking to you Andre') that some members post in utter disrespect to the feelings of those of us who see hunting as an intimate and sacred relationship between beings. I urge the moderators to deal with this topic as they would on remarks about religion or politics.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Massimo Maddaloni wrote:Also, between eating venison and whale meat there is a HUGE difference. In the first case you go out, blast your ass up and down the mountains, get bruised, snowed upon, rained upon, confronted by bears or other top predators and then EVENTUALLY you kill your quarry yourself. You shoot, YOU see the transformation from a magnificent animal into meat. In so doing one learns (unless he or she is stupid) something that cannot be learned otherwise. It is not the first time (and I am not talking to you Andre') that some members post in utter disrespect to the feelings of those of us who see hunting as an intimate and sacred relationship between beings. I urge the moderators to deal with this topic as they would on remarks about religion or politics.
Regards
Massimo

Can you point out exactly where a poster has shown"utter disrespect" in this thread please, thank you ? Baring in mind that we are all entitled to our opinions.

JOhn
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Chill out Johnfb, neither your post or Andre's qualify for being anything close to "utter", they are plainly fastidious. It's easy to be bold surfing the web. We are all capable of invoking our entitlement to opinions. A rule *I* always try to abide by is:" would I post the same thing in the same way if my listener and I were alone in the woods with him being 250 Lbs warrior?"
Regards
Massimo Maddaloni
Massimo Maddaloni
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:08 pm

I just wanted to show the dinner I made the other day and I got positive response. Then I got silly enough to ventilate my opinion on whaling. I should have left that out. :(
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Massimo Maddaloni wrote:Chill out Johnfb, neither your post or Andre's qualify for being anything close to "utter", they are plainly fastidious. It's easy to be bold surfing the web. We are all capable of invoking our entitlement to opinions. A rule *I* always try to abide by is:" would I post the same thing in the same way if my listener and I were alone in the woods with him being 250 Lbs warrior?"
Regards
Massimo Maddaloni

Completely chilled out , thanks. I dont see where any post of mine was fastidious.

Also you posted "I urge the moderators to deal with this topic as they would on remarks about religion or politics." As a mod I asked for your comment on your post so as to make an assumption on it.

Regards
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Massimo Maddaloni wrote:Chill out Johnfb, neither your post or Andre's qualify for being anything close to "utter", they are plainly fastidious. It's easy to be bold surfing the web. We are all capable of invoking our entitlement to opinions. A rule *I* always try to abide by is:" would I post the same thing in the same way if my listener and I were alone in the woods with him being 250 Lbs warrior?"
Regards
Massimo Maddaloni

So whose post(s) did display utter disrespect to hunting? This thread has been discussing the commercial harvesting of wild animals. That isn't hunting.

saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general