Potato Pizza

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Potato Pizza

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 am

A specialty from Apulia in Southern Italy, this is an interesting alternative to ordinary pizza. The topping is optional, but fish goes very well with the potato bottom. There is also a famous variety with sheep's cheese.

Boil 750 g potatoes, skin on, until soft. Peel when still hot and mash. Mix with 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp olive oil. Let cool.

Add 150-250 ml wheat flour and mix (the amount depends on the potatoes; the dough should be quite firm).

Spread the dough onto a well greased baking tray.

Add a simple tomato sauce (we use 1 can plum tomatoes, mashed with 2 tbsp tomato purée, 3 cloves garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, basil and 1 tbsp olive oil). Crumble two bags of mozzarella (250 g total) over the pizza.

Add topping. This time we used tuna, onion, anchovies (home-pickled in olive oil) and olives. Sprinkle olive oil on top.

Bake in a 200 C/400 F oven for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top and serve either hot or room tempered.

Last edited by grisell on Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:42 am

andre
i love you, but your post only shows that good makeup can hide a lot of ugly.
how can a "pizza" that is made of fish, potato and sheep's cheese be famous? infamous, yes. and, is anything and everything covered with tomato sauce and baked in a flat pan properly called a pizza?

keep it comin' andre. your posts brighten up an otherwise very dreary wisconsin spring.

werner
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Last edited by grisell on Thu May 26, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 am

My daughter LOVES French fries on pizza but ... she was born in Montana ... so I am not sure what to think about it :roll:
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 am

I can really recommend it, rhiza. Your signature is "Restaurants in Singapore" and this must be an ideal recipe for restaurants, since the potato dough can be made well in advance and then just spread onto the trays. Since the dough is unfermented, it's very insensitive. As with ordinary pizza, the topping must not be too watery, since that will make the bottom mushy. Adding one egg per kilo of the mashed potatoes helps the dough keeping together. Remember to grease the tray generously.

Good luck! Please tell me how you liked it.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:54 am

monir57 wrote::cry: :cry:
but your post only shows that good makeup can hide a lot of ugly.
how can a "pizza" that is made of fish, potato and sheep's cheese be famous? infamous, yes. and, is anything and everything covered with tomato sauce and baked in a flat pan properly called a pizza

Do you have an opinion of your own, or do you usually just copy what others already have written?
André

grisell
Registered Member

monir57

Postby ddmaan2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 am

grisell wrote:
monir57 wrote::cry: :cry:
but your post only shows that good makeup can hide a lot of ugly.
how can a "pizza" that is made of fish, potato and sheep's cheese be famous? infamous, yes. and, is anything and everything covered with tomato sauce and baked in a flat pan properly called a pizza

Do you have an opinion of your own, or do you usually just copy what others already have written?

Just another Spammer grisell. If you look, you will see he has attacked quite a few threads in this forum.
Cheers Dave

No one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example!
ddmaan2
Registered Member

Postby john.huston45 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:33 am

Potatoes pizza is one of the best and most favorite recipe for Italian. I made this recipe on every week-ends. And this is the most favorite recipe for all children. child who doesn't love pizza or potatoes but they love this recipe.
john.huston45

Postby saucisson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 am

Your thread seems to be very popular with "new members" Andre :lol:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby grisell » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 am

That's why they join the forum... 8) :lol:
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Andre,
Just keep all these recipes coming as much as possible. I don't believe in critising anybody on this forum as it is designed to promote friendship, helping each other and an exchange of knowledge and recipes.
As I said in a previous email, if you have a difference of opinion or an axe to grind, send a PM.
This week end I will try this recipe if time allows me.
Keep up the good work Mate!!!!
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Andre,
...I don't believe in critising anybody on this forum as it is designed to promote friendship, helping each other and an exchange of knowledge and recipes.
As I said in a previous email, if you have a difference of opinion or an axe to grind, send a PM.

Jan, I might be being a little bit sensitive here, but nobody's criticising Grisell. The comments above are about the spam entries (now deleted) that this thread has seemed to attract.

Why? Who knows? Your guess is as good as mine! But no-one's saying that it's Grisell's fault!

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby mitchamus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 am

OK if no-one else will say it... I will...

That nail polish colour really suits you Grisell.

:D
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks, Phil! :)

mitchamus: That's my wife. She's better in the kitchen than with the camera... :wink:

crustyo44: If you'll make the recipe, try to find winter potatoes. With new potatoes, you will probably need a lot more flour because of their higher water and less starch content. This may make the dough too stiff; I don't know, I haven't tried with new potatoes.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm

It's difficult when spammers intercept a thread. The spammed posts are removed, but sometimes the posts that are left behind sit uneasily, because they appear to refer to posts other than the ones they were aimed at. At that point I'm a bit in limbo, do I remove all those posts? or leave them and hope people work it out? It's easy for those who saw the spammer posts and recognised them for what they are, but for people who didn't, or didn't read the thread until they were gone, it must be very tricky.

How about we leave the spam posts there but delete their content? Then they can act as spacers between the genuine posts...

Let me know what you think?

Dave.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cookery in general