BBQ Cookbook

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

BBQ Cookbook

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:57 pm

Here is a free BBQ cookbook with a lot of recipes.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1360317/Barb ... k.pdf.html

I hope the summers not over yet.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:44 am

I note they like to use apple wood as the preferred smoking medium, also see they don't use very much of it when hot smoking, Think I will have to try cutting down a bit. A few nice recipes to try though.

@ Oddley

Do you think that it would be OK to use venison haunch to make a Prosciutto Lucca salted style ham as per Len Poli's recipe?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:54 pm

Paul, I've had a look at the recipe. I don't see why you couldn't use Venison instead.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:38 pm

For what it is worth a venision haunch has almost no fat covering it but I am not sure if this is totally necessary for Prosciutto.

Dont know if you are ever up my neck of the woods but if you are I can source venision very reasonably and am quite prepared to do so.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks Oddley, Your advice is always taken as 'gospel'.

@Welsh Wizard,

I am too far away to take up your kind offer, and am dealing with Deer Man as a resource. I have already had 2 haunches from him and must say that although I used them for sausage they are superb. I used Franco's traditional sausage mix with a small jar of redcurrant jelly and as I say they are the dogs B******s. I intend to use the more tender cuts for steaks, prosuitto and pastrami, and use the remainder for those excellent sausages. I may even try a savoury version as opposed to the sweet redcurrant version. I always remove any bone, tendon or cartilage prior to mincing, even the wife was impressed.
My mouth is salivating with aticipation.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:04 pm

Brilliant well done you - I am astounded at the small amount of people who eat game, it is the most underated meat in the market.

As this item is on BBQ's, if you ever have a spare haunch try thinly slicing some steaks off it and stick them on the old BBQ. They are delicious, take little time and are somthing different.

I am going to post a venision sausage recipe on the recipe site in a mo, it has stood the test of time in my cave! I tend to use only shoulder for sausages, I have tried haunch but it always seems a shame to mince down the best cut. anyway have a look if you are interested. For interest I know Hobbitfeet used some of his home made creme de casis in his venision sausage and they were delicious as well.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:51 pm

Welsh Wizard

Hopefully quite soon I will be acquiring a couple of deer carcasses, and am open to suggestions for the usage of them. I am so pleased with the sausages but realise there is other bounty to be had from the appropriate cuts.
I can't beleive how the wife has changed her tune and actually tries everything I produce. That says it all.
I would be intereted in any recipe you post regarding game.. I for one do appreciate it, and hopefully will have acces to it. You never see it in the butchers because of the price.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi Paul

Game in supermarkets is also priced so high it is often seen on the short dated shelf. Also it has to be said that a lot of people just do not know what to do with it! I offered Safeways, as was, my time and mobile cooking bits to give a cookery demo in their store with game - free for nothing, but was refused on the grounds that they didnt sell much game !!! Chicken - egg comes to mind. Living where I do I must admit I do see game in local butchers and certainly around Christmas time they sell a lot of pheasant and partridge, but as you say at quite a price. I pay c�1 - �1.50 a brace depending on the time of the season, in fact at the end of the season I can often get feathered game for 50p a brace and that is why I make so many game sausages, it is the cheapest meat I can source - daft or what!

Re whole venison carcasses, I have quite a simple rule when I am dressing out - Haunch = Special occassion and cooked after leaving in a marinade of olive oil and red wine or cut into steaks for a special meal / Shoulders / neck / rib = diced meat for game sausages or a good rich winter stew with plemty of root veg and again cooked in alcohol (guiness is good) / Ribs = I always strip the ribs of the loin and then use the loin in the same way as you would use fillet steak - it also makes a fantastic venision en croute.

I do have a well tried and tested game terrene recipe, if you would like it just let me know.

Sorry to prattle on its just a subject that interests me. Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:07 pm

If you wish, I will be happy to help provide game recipes for you. I have several excellent sources as well as a handfull of recipes presently on my own website. My members are sportsmen first and cooks second. Come visit with us and check us out. Everything is free and there is quite a variety of topic matter. :D Click on thw link and follow the "fun link" to our forum from there.
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks Pawclaws will have a go - foot tappin stuff the intro!
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:25 am

You are very welcome WW. I've been poking around this site. You would be amazed how many requests for good sausage recipes I see; especially, among the hunters who process their own game. You folk have a very special project in play here. Now if I can just learn the language!! :lol:
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:38 am

Here is a site where the chef specializes in wild game because he is an avid hunter. I know you fellow cooks who share our love for the outdoors will enjoy reviewing his recipes. There is also a section where you may ask him "personally" about his cookery and he will respond. I am developing a great deal of respect for him. :)

http://www.sportingchef.com/rc.asp
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:03 am

Thanks for the link PC - I have had a butchers (look) and will try the pheasant and leek soup for sure. Some of the venision listings make intetresting reading. All I have to do now is work out what 1/2 and 1/4 cup sizes are in real money!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:08 am

For the uninitiated - Cockney rhyming slang... Butcher's hook = look.
So to take a butchers is to take a look. Lessons in sausage technique and English...how's that for value Pawclaws?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby pawclaws » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:18 pm

That's marvelous Hobbitfeet! :D Already I'm learning!! If I can remember correctly: 1 cup is 8 ounces, a half cup is four ounces, etc. A cup is also equal to 16 Tablespoons. For some real fun you should give the 19th century terminology of "The Colonies" a go! :shock:
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general