Tandoori chicken

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Tandoori chicken

Postby grisell » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:28 am

The base of this recipe comes from our forum colleague johnfb (check out his blog for some great Indian recipes!). I have made a few modifications in the recipe and I have his permission to post my slightly modified recipe here. There are thousands of recipes for tandoori and I don't claim this to be an original in any way but this recipe is optimal in my opinion.

Marinade:

For 600-1000 grams of bone- and skinless chicken breast, enough for 2-4 servings, you will need:

100 ml full-fat yoghurt (10% fat)
1 tsp fenugreek leaves
½ tsp salt
Juice of one lemon
1 tbsp kashmiri masala (from the store or recipe below)
2 tbsp tandoori masala (from the store)
3 tbsp curry paste of your preference (from the store)
1 tbsp grated fresh garlic
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp chili paste (e.g. Sambal Oelek)
2 tsp dried mint
2 tsp Liquid Smoke (if you don't grill on charcoal)
Red caramel colouring

Mix. The colouring adds nothing to the taste, but traditionally, tandoori chicken is heavily coloured red.

Kashmiri Masala:
2 cinnamon pods
2 tbsp black cumin (kala jeera)
1 tsp cardamom seeds
2 tsp black pepper
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp mace
1/8 nutmeg nut
Chili to your liking; a kashmiri masala is not supposed to be hot.

Roast the spices in a dry skillet. Let cool and grind. Keep in a tight jar.

The chicken: Make a few incisions in the breasts. Massage the marinade into the meat and marinate, refrigerated, for one day.

On the second day, make a shakrooti (recipe follows) and some rice, turn on the oven on maximum heat plus grill. If you happen to have a tandoori oven you will use that of course.

Place the chicken on greased aluminium foil (to make the cleaning process easier afterwards) as high up as possible in the oven. Don't leave the kitchen - this is a very quick process! After 3-5 minutes, when black bubbles start to develop on the breasts, turn and continue another 3-5 minutes. The breasts should be ready now. Check with fork and knife. They should be juicy but have no trace of pinkish liquid in them. If they are not ready, turn off the grill and let them bake for a few minutes more. Tandoori chicken should have a very burnt colour, almost black. It's the character of the dish.

Drop some melted butter mixed with chaat masala (recipe follows) over the breasts and serve with rice and a generous amount of Shakrooti salad (recipe follows).

Chaat masala:
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp black pepper
5 cloves
1½ tsp dried mint
1/4 tsp dried ajowan seeds
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp dried mango powder
1 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp citric or tartaric acid

Roast the dry seeds. Let cool, grind and mix with the rest of the ingredients.

Shakrooti

This salad is not typically Indian. It exists in numerous varieties in Asian countries. My Kyrghyz wife tells me that they have the same there, called shakarat, but it's without cucumber. I don't know if shakrooti is traditional but it goes excellently with tandoori chicken.

3-5 large ripe tomatoes
½ kilo (about) cucumber
1 large onion (or a corresponding amount of fresh onion or scallions)
1 small green chili
1 bunch fresh coriander
Juice of one lemon
Salt, sugar, black pepper.

Chop everything. Mix. Add a little sugar if you like. The amount of chili is to everyone's taste. I prefer this dish mild and make the chicken hot instead, but as said it's a personal matter.

PS Hing or Asafoetida is a very particular spice. The special thing about it is that its scent is easily detected by dogs, even after it has passed the human digestive process. Therefore, it was served on a daily basis in Swedish prisons in the 18Th and 19th centuries. Any fugitives were easily found by dogs.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am

Interesting about the hing...but you wouldn't need a dog to smell it...man it stinks, but great in curry. :wink:

Chicken looks great and thanks for the other recipes attached in this post.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Nice recipe Grisell :D

I find that cooking them on a grid above a lined pan (preferably pre-heated cast iron) gives great results.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Tandoori chicken

Postby big_onion » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Shakrooti

This salad is not typically Indian. It exists in numerous varieties in Asian countries. My Kyrghyz wife tells me that they have the same there, called shakarat, but it's without cucumber. I don't know if shakrooti is traditional but it goes excellently with tandoori chicken.

3-5 large ripe tomatoes
½ kilo (about) cucumber
1 large onion (or a corresponding amount of fresh onion or scallions)
1 small green chili
1 bunch fresh coriander
Juice of one lemon
Salt, sugar, black pepper.

Chop everything. Mix. Add a little sugar if you like. The amount of chili is to everyone's taste. I prefer this dish mild and make the chicken hot instead, but as said it's a personal matter.

Since tomatoes and cucumbers are the first to come out of our garden each year, this is a pretty common salad we make, except we toss it with some white vinegar and not chili (although we could). I find I like the texture of it once it's sat overnight in the fridge and the cucumber has softened a little bit.
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:10 pm

I use a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey that bakes them in a very hot oven. They can then be finished under the grill or over the BBQ. Although I don't usually bother. I haven't tried John's or Grisell's variant, but I can say of the others I've tried, this is the best -and very easy, especially if your oven goes as hot as mine (300C).
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Ian

Mine is a mixture of Madhur's and Pat Chapman's - so I can't help but agree with you! :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general