Pickled eggs

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pickled eggs

Postby big_onion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Since we usually end up with more eggs than we know what to do with, I was looking up some ways to preserve them. Pickled eggs came to mind -- there used to be a bar (one of the few places around here that brewed their own beer) that had this giant container of red pickled eggs that we would get sloshed and devour. (Oh, to be 20 again.) I wasn't so keen on the red part, so I started poking around the interwebs and found this recipe:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pickled_eggs/

The brine tasted amazing. Sweet, tart, but not overpowering with the curry flavor. Here's a pic I grabbed with my phone:

http://yfrog.com/kjfj8qj
(can't figure out how put the pic in here, so you'll have to follow the link)

I'm gonna let them go for a week and see how they turn out.

Anyone have a favorite pickled egg recipe? We used 8 eggs last night, but I still got over a dozen in the fridge and a couple of ducks that lay every day (in about 4 months we'll have 6 more eggs/day -- yikes) so I'm game for some experimenting!
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I recommend that you steer clear of the star anise recipe: nothing obliterates any other taste more efficiently than star anise.
On a different note, I have been having my chicken for about ten years. In order to minimize the problem I used to have only 2 egg-layers and all the others were egg/meat breed. At the peak of the season I'd hard boil the surplus, mix them to maize and slowly re-feed them to the chickens. The only thing is that you must make sure that the TEXTURE doesn't give the chickens any ... ideas, so never, ever feed recognizable eggs to your chickens. Birds have a very poor sense of smell. Also, don't feed them too many eggs or the high-protein diet would push the chickens into making even more eggs
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Big Onion,

I loved the look of those beet pickled eggs so much that I started a couple of batches today. Thanks for the link :D I'll let you know how they go.

All the best

Ryan :D
Ryan C
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general