32 Day Dry Aged Ribeyes with Lobster

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

32 Day Dry Aged Ribeyes with Lobster

Postby Vindii » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm

This is my first try using the drybag dry aging system. Heres a link to the site.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/

I aged half of a ribeye sub primal for 32 days. Used the other half for prime rib. Ended up with 3 nice sized steaks after trimming. Dry aged steak definitely has a different taste to it. It reminded me of the taste you get from a high end steakhouse. Heres a pic before trimming.

The bag came a little loose on the bottom so I had to trim a bit more off than I normally would have but they still look pretty good.

After trimming.

On the grill at 700 with the lobster.

Plated

I think the next one I will do for a bit less time. That should make the amount that needs to be trimming off a little less. These had to have most of the fat removed from the outside and I think that may have affected the flavor of the meat. Still was very good though. Just different than normal.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm

holy crap that looks good!!

-edit- (checked out the website!)

I've always been curious about aging my own meat.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 am

Have you compared to regular wet ageing? (cryo vaced meat)
Dry ageing traditionally you end up with a darker dryed out meat with intense flavour,were that meat seemed still to be red and moist.
We have a few abattoirs around here, so the local independant supermarkets get some specials in
I buy a slab of porterhouse or rump cryo-vaced
It does tenderise it and its dirt cheap.( just got rump for $5 a kilo,$12 for Porterhouse)
You have to buy the whole lot, so its $40 or $50 bucks a piece.
And they were beautiful bits of free range grass fed meat.

I have to go diving for the rock lobsters(painted crays up here) or put out a pot.... to replicate your dish

.... looks delicious.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby jdonly1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am

This side of beef was hung for 42 days

These are the ribeyes from it(still on the bone)
jdonly1
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 am

Vindii and jdonly1: That looks fantastic! :D I'd appreciate very much if you could give me details on how to age beef. I'd love to try it myself.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:25 pm

grisell wrote:Vindii and jdonly1: That looks fantastic! :D I'd appreciate very much if you could give me details on how to age beef. I'd love to try it myself.

The way I did it is to use the drybag system. The link is in the first post. I have never tried wet aging or any other method. This was my first try and it came out pretty good.

Snags - The outside of the subrpimal gets hard and dries out. You trim that off and then end up with the red meat inside. It is hard to see in the pic but even after trimming the meat did have a darker red color than normal beef would have. It looks brighter in the pics than it was.

jdonly1 - Do you just hang the beef to age or is there any other prep that needs to be done. Does it get any mold on the outside while hanging?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Vindii wrote:[---]
The link is in the first post.
[---]

:D I missed that. Got hung up on the fantastic pictures...
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general