Mushroom season

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Ryan C » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:49 pm

You lucky bugger! :shock: :shock: :D
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Today's harvest below. The ink caps seem to be out of season now, so Ryan's delicious soup recipe will have to wait a year. :(

Rufous Milkcaps (Lactarius rufus), Scaly Toothcaps (Sarcodon squamosus), a few Albatrellus subrubescens. Four kilos total. The Scaly Toothcap on the left was 28 cm across and weighed over half a kilo!

I will try a new recipe for marinated mushrooms. Especially milkcaps are said to be excellent when marinated. I will report later.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:26 pm

I've just picked the best part of a kilo of chanterelles (cantherellus cibarius). This evening it was poached salmon fillet, with chanterelles sautéed with a little onion, garlic, then white wine added and reduced, and finished with cream. Delicious.

With the rest, thinking of trying chanterelle vodka with some and a mushroom risotto with the remainder.

Never tried the vodka before, but it seems to be well recommended.

It looked promising that there might be a few more in my secret patch in a few days...

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby GarretT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm

I need to start learning about how to hunt and pick mushrooms. I love mushrooms and always buy them at the store but would lie to learn about the edible ones that grow around me and where and when to pick them. I usually have portabellos although I love the flavor of shitake mushrooms.
Garret - lookin' for some Nashville Patio Furniture to put around my grill & smoker
GarretT
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general