Anyone know owt about Boureks

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Anyone know owt about Boureks

Postby mrmerguez » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi guys I was at the Green Man festival in Wales and found a stall that sold Boureks they were amazing. The basic concept was merguez sausage meat and cheese (think it was goat) wrapped in filo pastry and deep fried. I'm gonna try and make some and have the merguez mix ready and was just going to wrap it with goats cheese in filo and fry but was wondering if anyone had a recipe or any tips.

Thanks
mrmerguez
Registered Member

Re: Anyone know owt about Boureks

Postby johnfb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:12 pm

mrmerguez wrote:Hi guys I was at the Green Man festival in Wales and found a stall that sold Boureks they were amazing. The basic concept was merguez sausage meat and cheese (think it was goat) wrapped in filo pastry and deep fried. I'm gonna try and make some and have the merguez mix ready and was just going to wrap it with goats cheese in filo and fry but was wondering if anyone had a recipe or any tips.

Thanks

Is this what you are looking for

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/b ... tries.html

johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 pm

My mum would make them or a version of them most weekends as I was growing up.
She made the filo pastry by hand
Stretched out on a laminex table and then over a linen table cloth.
My favourite was leek and cheese (feta,ricotta and egg)
She also made a beef onion and paprika one that was excellent too.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:34 am

I've had a Turkish pastry called borek (or boregi) which has a basic recipe of filo dough, feta cheese, and some herbs. Google something like Turkish Boregi recipe and you'll get a lot of tips, recipes, etc.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 am

Hi,
Just google bourek/ burek. The East/Southern Europeans have many variations of these. I prefer the Hungarian,Yugoslav versions myself.
I bet that we have some members that have family recipes and their variations available.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Yannis » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 pm

It is very simple procedure, here are instructions http://www.sintagespareas.gr/sintages/p ... rista.html
It is in Greek but I think the photos help. The basic ingredient is phyllo, in this recipe feta, gouda and ham are added but you can use anything you like, my wife uses whatever is available. Just wrap, fry and enjoy :)
I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it. Mark Twain.
Yannis
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general