Pâté en croute (Pâté in pastry)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pâté en croute (Pâté in pastry)

Postby grisell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

I made this the other day:

Pâté en Croute

Pastry

300 g of soft wheat flour
150 g unsalted butter, refrigerated
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon lemon juice
50-100 ml ice cold water

Paté

750 g lean pork (e.g. butt)
50 ml Armagnac or Cognac
50 ml port wine
2 teaspoons 0.6%-nitrite-salt (or common salt + a tiny pinch of saltpetre)
½ tsp sugar
½ teaspoon white pepper
Shortening (preferably lard)
½ onion, very finely chopped

400 g fatty pork (e.g. belly)
200 g pork liver
2 teaspoons 0.6%-nitrite-salt (or common salt + a tiny pinch of saltpetre)
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon Four Spices (Épice Riche)
A little nutmeg
2 eggs
150 ml milk
30 g black truffles, chopped (or 20 g dried morels, soaked, blanched and chopped)

Jelly

200 ml water
100 ml Port wine
1 tablespoon gelatin powder

Cut the lean pork into pieces. Rub with salt, sugar and pepper. Pour over the liquor and wine. Marinate, refrigerated, for one day. Make the pastry (chop together flour, butter and salt and mix with lemon, egg and enough water to ensure a smooth dough). Wrap the dough in plastic foil and place in the refrigerator.

Take up the lean pork from the marinade. Save the marinade. Brown the meat in the fat in batches in a skillet. Add the onion and sautée lightly. Deglaze the pan with a couple of tablespoons of water and pour it and the marinade over the browned meat. Let cool.

Grind the belly and the liver finely. Mix ground meat with spices, eggs, milk and truffles/morels. Add the browned meat with its juices. Grease and line a large (30x8x10 cm) pan with the pastry. The pastry should hang over the sides. Fill the pan with the meat. Refrigerate for four hours.

Insert a thermometer probe in the middle of the meat. Bake in a 200 C oven (no water-bath) to 70 C internal temperature (about 45 minutes). Trim off excess dough and let the paté cool.

Make the jelly: Soak the gelatin as directed on package. Heat the water and wine and stir in the gelatin. Let cool to lukewarm. Place the paté in the refrigerator and pour half of the jelly onto the meat. Let the jelly set. Pour over the rest of the jelly.

Let the paté mature for two-three days in the refrigerator before serving. Will keep for at least one week in the refrigerator. It's not suitable for freezing.

This is the way I served it, with cornichons, fresh mushrooms and a salad with walnuts.

André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:06 am

Now that dose look tasty and mighty fine, going to have to have a bash at this :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 am

That looks delicious André.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Elegant and refined. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general