Olives in brine and mould

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby tommix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 pm

I have been curing olives for some time now using the lye method, anyway I make a brine using 1 cup plain salt to 1 gallon of water, the olives will keep for months. These olives are a bit salty but not to the point of needing to soak them before eating, of course you could. I seasoned the olives with fresh garlic and red pepper flakes, very good.

To prevent the mold issue why not replace the brine with your own solution? The last batch I made has been in the refrigerator since November and no problems with mold.

Tim
tommix
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Re-brine them, or try the 'oil on brine' mix would be my favoured options. Adding another chemical into the mix seems unnecessary.

Out of interest, why not just freeze the tom paste grisell?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby numnutz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I bought some olives in a jar from a supermarket, ate a few, then poured in some olive oil, so far a month later, no problem with mold.

I normally use a clean spoon but in the past may have fallen of the wagon and used my fingers or a "pre-used" spoon so will be careful in future.

thanks again

nn

P. S. Sorry for late reply i've been somewhat ill. :cry:
numnutz
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general