1st Cheese advice...

Recipes and techniques for soft cheese.

1st Cheese advice...

Postby djrpowell » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 am

Hi,

I have moved on from Salami this week (even though I am making a cold smoker next week :D and a whole load of smoky stuff! to Cheese!

I tried my first soft cheese yesterday and it is in the fridge. However, I wanted some advice. I have shaped it, see images on link but I wanted to see if I can leave it to harden off a little and eat a a semi hard cheese.

Check out the link to the last picture on the gallery and see where I am at, any advice appreciated!

http://www.animatedscience.co.uk/2012/1st-cheese

At the moment it is on a mat in the fridge on a plate open to air with a small amout of dribble of whey on the outside. I have already salted to taste inside and took off the muslin

Thanks

Daniel
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I don't see why not Daniel it will be interesting to see.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby djrpowell » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:22 pm

It is intersting though as I put the round one back in the mold with cloth on it as it started to sag.

I think it might need to firm a bit, will it do that in the mold?

Should I press it with g-cramp in the mold, just worried it will squeeze out of cloth?
If it comes from 20 pigs and you are not sure if it contains testicles you are on the wrong track!
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby Mrs. Northerner » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:04 am

Hi Daniel,

I've just started dabbling in cheese making too! I think I would put it back in the mould and press it with some weight for a few hours if you want a firmer cheese.

I made something similar yesterday and I pressed it with 3.5 kg pressure for 6 hours, then put in the fridge to dry out. It was still a it soft last night but tasted great this morning!

Nic
Mrs. Northerner
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks,

I did that and it seems a bit harder the other one is certainly firming up but inside is very soft.

How long should I leave in the mould as it seems to impede the drying process?

Thanks
djrpowell
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 pm

It seems to me that you have made a cream cheese, which I dont think will appreciate being pressed. A cheese for a roulade, and I've made a few, is for immediate, or there abouts, consumption. Also the fact that it often goes into a shaped mould means you cant turn it to drain very easily. What shaped moulds are you using?
You could leave it to drain until you have achieved a dry crust, but it will probably always have a soft centre, not a bad thing though, can be delicious. If you want serious drainage you need a circular mould like a sleeve, open both ends, leave it in there and press. The side of the mould will support the cheese shape. Although soft cheeses are traditionally turned and not pressed, I have put some weight on a stilton to speed things up.
You can't go far wrong by consulting Riks recipes on here, every one I've tried has been good.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby djrpowell » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for that, I have a round one, and also a triangluar shaped one.

The triangluar one as slopped out a bit but the round one is still in the mold.

I think I will just get that one out today and let it sit and see.

The one out of the mold is getting a crust.

But I also think it might be a bit sharp as well.

Not worried so much about eating it, just testing it really.
djrpowell
Registered Member

Return to Soft Cheese Making