Pork Loin Wrapped in Clay

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pork Loin Wrapped in Clay

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 am

Hope this is ok ,if not please remove or move it mods.

We cook a lot of different ways using our BBQ,s.
This allows us to cook outside, but get the same, or better effect of using a slow cooker.
Also makes a nice talking point when having people over for backyard tucker.
We have used many cuts of meat to get many interesting meals.

So far to date.
Sealed the meat off in the firebox.

Made a bed of red onion,green apple,sprinkle of Cinnamon and a dripping of Yellow Box honey.

Wrapped in Double Alfoil and to be sure did a shiny side in and a shiny side out. :roll:
Then wrapped in a salt flour dough.

Into a very hot oven untill the dough sets.

Countdown began, shall finish this after a 7 hour cook on low ( around 130-140c)
Marriage is a life sentence.
Titch
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am

7 hours later, out of the smoker .Appears to have leaked a bit :cry:

break the shell.

Alls good ,still moist.The smell was wonderfull,Honey ,apple and cinnamon makes a delightfull fragrance.

Cheers.
Titch
Titch
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 am

Looks good! :D

Where does the clay come in? And does the smoke really penetrate the salt dough?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Looks great! I've seen it done in clay, buried in the ground, buried in salt and just wrapped in lots of foil. This is the first I've seen it wrapped in salt dough. If this achieves the same result as being buried in salt alone, then it will be well worth the try as it uses a lot less salt.

Can you post your dough recipe?
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 pm

The liquid in your veg on the bottom could be part of the cause for leaks from the crust, try putting the veg on the top next time, it will help baste, and the upper part of the crust will help absorb the moisture. As far as salt taste, you could easily use a pure salt crust with no problems also.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

I used to cook a 2" thick large sirloin steak in a salt crust, and serve it sliced thin with a bourbon-butter-shallot sauce. We also bake whole sides of salmon in salt dough. Nicely seasons the meat without leaving it overly salty.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Dough recipe.
1 kiilo of salt.
4 cups of plain flour.
water to mix a very dry dough.( was a bit wet this time )
We do this in the campfire when camping if we feel fancy,does great lamb.

Vegetables on top ? good thinking. how does a full salt crust work.?

Smoke does not penetrate, more the bling effect and an excuse to play with fire :wink:
you can use clay from a hobby shop or out of the ground, instead of the dough.
Non toxic of course.

Cheers.
Titch
Titch
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm

vagreys wrote:I used to cook a 2" thick large sirloin steak in a salt crust, and serve it sliced thin with a bourbon-butter-shallot sauce. We also bake whole sides of salmon in salt dough. Nicely seasons the meat without leaving it overly salty.

Yum please tell me more :P
Cheers.
Titch
Titch
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:22 pm

It looks great and I am sure it tastes even better but could it be done in a Dutch oven or in a crockpot?
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Titch wrote:
vagreys wrote:I used to cook a 2" thick large sirloin steak in a salt crust, and serve it sliced thin with a bourbon-butter-shallot sauce. We also bake whole sides of salmon in salt dough. Nicely seasons the meat without leaving it overly salty.

Yum please tell me more :P
Cheers.
Titch

Here's a generic approach, assuming that you're seasoning the meat with whatever herbs and spices, you choose, except salt.

Tear off a strip of paper towel long enough to wrap around the piece of meat, allowing a margin of about 1" all the way around. Dampen the strip of paper towel and squeeze out the excess water. You want it damp, but not wet.

Make a paste of kosher salt and water, adding just enough water to make the salt hang together. You will have to eyeball the amount of salt for the piece of meat. You want somewhere around 1" of salt pasted all the way around the meat. Put a layer of salt paste on the paper towel about 1" deep and 1" larger than the piece of meat. Place the (seasoned, except for salt) meat on the bed of salt and add salt paste to completely coat the meat in about 1" layer of salt all around.

I used a pizza peel to move the salt-encrusted steak to the grill. Slide the package onto the grill and cook, covered, over medium coals, until the desired degree of doneness. If you want to turn the piece of meat (not necessary in my opinion) then pick it up with the peel, slide onto a baking sheet, place another baking sheet on top of the package and turn the whole thing over, then move from the baking sheet back to the grill.

If you've done it right, the salt will form a hard crust around the meat. When you remove the package from the grill, let it sit for about 10 minutes before cracking the crust, which you can do with a hammer or the back of a chef's knife. Remove the crust and move the meat to a cutting board. Slice thinly across the grain and serve with sauce.

I'll have to find the sauce recipe.

For the salmon, I make a bed of dill and lemon slices on the salt dough, lay the salmon skin-side-down on the bed of herbs, place some more thin lemon slices on top, sealing the dough around the salmon. Put it in the ash and low coals of the cooking fire, and let it go until done. I've also tried a variant of sliced onions, sliced strawberries and julienned sweet yellow and red peppers as the bed and topper, served with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar. Not bad.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Titch » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Massimo Maddaloni wrote:It looks great and I am sure it tastes even better but could it be done in a Dutch oven or in a crockpot?
Regards
Massimo

Yes very much so.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch
Registered Member

Postby Titch » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Tom .
I have seen pictures of fish done this way I think.
Might have to try next Internet contest down here.( all done in fun )
Easter is a fish dish on a BBQ
Cheers.
Titch
Titch
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general