Green Specks in Kielbasa

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Green Specks in Kielbasa

Postby MartyOrt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:06 am

Hello all! I hope that this post is in the correct part of this forum, if it's not please accept my apologies.

I have been making my grandmother's old recipe for kielbasa for two years and have recreated it perfectly. Now I've decided to spend some time working on my own version of the stuffed sausage, but I'm having a problem. Once stuffed, after a few hours in the refrigerator green spots begin to form in the sausage. It appears to me to be some sort of oxidation (and appears to only happen around the mustard seeds), but I'm not really sure. If I freeze it immediately the spots do not appear. I'm not trying to make a cured/smoked sausage, but a fresh style.

Here's what's in the casing.

10 pounds pork butt
2 small onions (pureed)
3 cloves garlic (pureed)
1/4 cup salt
3 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons mustard seed
2 tablespoons dill weed
2 cups cold water

Edit: I boiled a link that had the specks and hit an internal temperature of 165 and they went away and left no foul taste or smell on the cooked version. Not sure if that's important, but I wanted to mention it just the same.

Thank you for any help that you can all give me, and if this has ever been posted on before again forgive me. I used the search feature but didn't see anything that resembled this problem.

Thanks again!

Marty
Cheers,
Marty Ort
Scranton, Pennsylvania
MartyOrt
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 am

Some sulphur compounds will turn blood green. Mustard seeds contain at least two sulphur compounds that are part of what makes it hot. It could be a sulphur reaction. I've been using mustard seed in pork and venison for years, though, and have never noticed green spots develop around the mustard seeds.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:55 am

Interesting!!!

I know that garlic, as well as onion, can also turn blue or green under certain circumstances.
Again, both are high in sulphur.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby MartyOrt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Is there a way to combat this?
Cheers,
Marty Ort
Scranton, Pennsylvania
MartyOrt
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

DiggingDogFarm wrote:Interesting!!!

I know that garlic, as well as onion, can also turn blue or green under certain circumstances.
Again, both are high in sulphur.

~Martin

Indeed! I made some leeks vinaigrette a while ago, with lashings of garlic, and it went a very disturbing blue-green colour. Tasted OK however.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby MartyOrt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Would using a curing product (cure #1 for example) stop this from happening?
Cheers,
Marty Ort
Scranton, Pennsylvania
MartyOrt
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 pm

This is common for multiple reasons. Sulfer in tap water, young garlic, garlic exposed to sunlight. All of these things reacting with acid and curing ingredients can cause discoloration. Nothing wrong with the product other than the color.

It happens in pickling all the time. Usually from tap water or young garlic.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:27 pm

I have pureed onion and garlic together and it always seems to turn a light green colour.Appart from that if you are using dry dill is it not the dill rehydrating? :roll:
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Return to Beginners