Fat Rancidity Question

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Fat Rancidity Question

Postby Dogfish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:13 pm

So I've got a lead on a couple domestically kept wild boar brood sows that are at their useful limit. The price would be right but I've been told that the fat can go rancid really quickly on pork from pig at that age. Anybody heard anything like this before?

These pigs are fed a basically wild diet: vege scrap, grain, hay, a little animal product. Whatever's handy. They're big and healthy animals, but they're dry.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 am

You don't typically hear about wild boar for fat, but muscle. Sounds like they are eating what they'd eat in the wild (which is whatever they can find). I'd cook it.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 pm

So long as you get it away from oxygen and light and frozen soon after butchering I imagine it would be fine. Rancidity usually has to do with improper storage.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

That's what I'd thought but wasn't sure.

With pork it's just a matter of kill and chill correct? No hang time? I'm thinking because it would be warm out the pig would be killed, gutted, skinned, possibly split, and drowned in an ice bath for a bit.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general