Gas heater

Gas heater

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Members,
I would like to incorporate a gas heater in my new nearly finished smoker.
Any suggestions from members how I can control the temperature with sensors and a controller for switching the gas on/off. The internal dimensions are 750X750X1700 H.
or is there a better/cheaper or more reliable way of doing this by using 240Volt.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Re: Gas heater

Postby BriCan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Members,
I would like to incorporate a gas heater in my new nearly finished smoker.
Any suggestions from members how I can control the temperature with sensors and a controller for switching the gas on/off. The internal dimensions are 750X750X1700 H.
or is there a better/cheaper or more reliable way of doing this by using 240Volt.
Regards,
Jan.

Hi Jan, what are we doing -- hot or cold smoke??
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi Robert,
I like to cold smoke and hot smoke. The temperature top limit would be around 72 centrigrade.
The smoker is ID 155 cm high, 75 cm wide and 80 cm deep. fully insulated.
Electric heating requires an electricity outlet to be put in, about 40 metres away.
With Gas, I only have to bring a full bottle but need to have all the valves, solenoids etc etc.
I am just trying to determine what the most economical and easier way of going about this.
Cold smoking is nearly impossible here most of the year.
Best Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Jan, you would only need a low wattage element to obtain those temps if your smoker is well insulated, the element could be controlled by a PID, with reference to the electrical supply have you priced up a battery and a inverter set up ? you could probably arrange for a solar recharger to charge the battery to save keep moving it for charging this would also be silent as opposed to a generator. Going gas would be more difficult with solenoids, gas valves etc.

Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I would recommend also you stay with electric. Unless you can find a complete kit that has all the safety features (a pilot control valve is a must) putting a gas control together yourself can be quite dangerous.
Here's an example:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51291
This guy was very very lucky from a lot of angles.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 am

Hi,
After seeing that burnt lower arm, I have decided to stay with electricity.
It's cheaper to run underground wires for a powerpoint next to my new smoker than create possible problems.
With gas heating it is too difficult to get local sourced parts and know-how here.
Thanks to all members with their suggestions and advice.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm

I use gas for mine (without a 'cut-off'). I an very aware of the safety issues and would not recommend anyone to do so (unless appropriately qualified).

In mitigation I don't use gas within the smoker, I have a commercial boiling ringunderneath the smoker:

It should be noted that virtually all of the bottom of the chamber is missing - the theory being that if the burner goes out the propane will drop downwards as it is heavier than air, making it no more dangerous the using the same burner in the open air. That's what I comfort myself with anyway! However, as soon as finance allows I'll be changing to electric.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing