PLOUGHMANS PIE RECIPE?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

PLOUGHMANS PIE RECIPE?

Postby homer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:06 pm

anyone have a recipe for a ploughmans pie
i have the pork pie sussed just wanted to go a stage further with the cheese and pickle
cant get me head around how you can cook the pie without the cheese and pickle ending up in a melted mess?
the ones in the ..dare i say it SHOPS have a nice thick wedge of cheese in the middle between the pork and pickle at the sides

any ideas?
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Re: PLOUGHMANS PIE RECIPE?

Postby BriCan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 pm

homer wrote:anyone have a recipe for a ploughmans pie
i have the pork pie sussed just wanted to go a stage further with the cheese and pickle
cant get me head around how you can cook the pie without the cheese and pickle ending up in a melted mess?
the ones in the ..dare i say it SHOPS have a nice thick wedge of cheese in the middle between the pork and pickle at the sides

any ideas?

Yes :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby homer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:18 pm

yup thanks for that maybe someone might reply with a recipe who does not have a commercial interest and does it for the love of the cooking
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm

homer wrote:yup thanks for that maybe someone might reply with a recipe who does not have a commercial interest and does it for the love of the cooking

I have to make pork pies today so will try a couple of things to see how it goes, not having made these before but knowing the principle tend to be two different things :?

I will report back :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Please understand that I was not trying to take the mickey or being sarcastic; the problem is/was that having made pork pies most of my life there are some which I haven’t – I have the theory but not the practical so in a sense I was reluctant to pass on what is obvious (?) – make pie shell (HP), toss in some meat cut a chunk of cheese and place on top of meat along wiv a dab of Branson followed wiv a bit more meat and last ov all cover wiv a pasty lid (HP) then bung in oven and cook until done

As I type this I have made the afore mentioned and it awaits the final stage before being devoured – that is the cooking. :)

I will post photos when and if I get home tonight

HTH

Disclaimer --- I do not have a commercial interest per say and I do it purely for the love of the cooking and enjoyment of others
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

Well as promised the results of the ploughman’s pork pie, it must be remembered that as I do know the theory it is a lot different than the practical side of things on this one. I have never made these before (except one, the one wiv the egg) so everything hear is/has been a learning curve, the thing is that I know before I start what the outcome will be; the looks as well as the tastes and very very rarely do things go astray and out to left field.

The following is a step by step of what I did. I will say hear right now that this was project was not on the agenda today as the board was completely full; but I must thank you for giving me the opportunity of developing something new.

These are one pound pie tins that we just brought in from Bolton

Hot water pastry that is going to form the base of the pie

Not content in doing a one off I push the envelope and try for four, pie tins with their dough bases ready to accept meat

Next came the coarse ground seasoned ground pork (100g in this case) placed in the bottom of the pie tin leaving a hollow spot in the canter.

All ready to at building this tasty morsel Cheese and Branston – it is advisable to use the small chunk

A 24g piece of cheese was placed in the hollow

Then topped with 22g of the Branston pickle

Then covered with more coarse ground seasoned pork; Sorry, I did not write down the weight of it.

And finally covering it with a lid

Hand crimped and egg washed ready for the oven

This is my take on a Gala pie which I make in a long loaf pan, this one will do two nicely

Going one step further whilst I was home a couple of years ago (the winter of the big snow fall) we happened to be in Morrison’s where I came across the ploughman pie along with another tasty morsel; the ‘Pork Chicken and Stuffing Pie’ which led me down the garden path. Hence the following, it started off the same as the Ploughman’s with the 100g of seasoned coarse ground pork after which I placed 30g of cooked sliced chicken breast in the hollow

This then was covered with a good layer of Paxo stuffing

This was my feeble attempt at doing a lattice work lid, needs some work as it has the rustic look

Well that’s about it except for the burning question that was asked

The pies was cooked in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F for twenty four minutes at which time I covered the tops with foil to prevent burning. Lowered the temperature down to 375 degrees F for a further thirty seven minuets after which the pies where taken out of the oven, taken out of the tins and left on a wire rack to cool.

I would normally jell the pies before they cooled but realised I was out of jelly and had no time to do a batch, hence the “no jell” look. As you can see the cheese and Branston did fine.

This ended up being a fun project to do, I do hope that is of “some” help to you. If there are any questions please feel free to ask

By the way I ate half of the one with the egg in it while writing this

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Fantastic pies. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby tomwal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Brican, Pies look great, inspiring me to have a go, out of curiosity, but I could'nt help notice the picture of your Paxo stuffing has a UK price of 55p on the box, do you import it? lol.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

TINS

Postby dorsets21 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 pm

where did you get the small tins as moulding free hand is a pain in the ###
:lol:
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Re: TINS

Postby tomwal » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 pm

dorsets21 wrote:where did you get the small tins as moulding free hand is a pain in the ###
:lol:

Hi dorsets21, you've probably already tried this, but I use a glass jar turned upside down to mould pie case, then give it 20 mins in fridge to firm up, I suppose the upside to this is you can use what ever size jar for big or small pies, without the cost of different size pie moulds.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 pm

That was an incredible journey.

Many thanks for posting your process!
Banjoe
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi,
You have started something in our household, my wife saw your pictures "and her being a pom" ordered me to get myself into gear and start producing these beauties.
I hope that she gets a bit more tolerant towards my sausagemaking and meat smoking or at least shows some more understanding of my hobby.
Thanks Robert.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 am

Just looking at these, I'd go for the one with the egg and some hot sauce. I'd volunteer to tell how the others taste if forced ;)
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Dunno guys I think Robert may have won gold in the overall events...
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Vexzed » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 am

I am addicted to mini pork, cheese & pickle pies when i'm in the UK. I think i'll give these a go but i'll probably grate the cheese & mix the cheese through. Hoping it should hold together if I use it sparingly :s
Vexzed
Newly Registered

Return to Cookery in general