MSG good or bad

Introductions and chatter

Postby SteveW » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks to all who replied. It seems that umami is a naturally occuring flavour in many of the foods I like. It's like the scrapings from a roasting tin that's had a chicken in it for a few hours on low in the oven. I don't use MSG at the moment but it might be interesting to try a few dishes with and without it and see what the opinions are. I can think of two dishes to try but am stuck for a third.

1. Prawn fried rice
2. Paprika chicken and roast veg

Any suggestions for a third dish?
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Suggestion, not a recommendation, try here :

http://ftlol.com/msg-follow-up-2/
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks saucisson,
The recipes look amazing, I'll try them sometime. What I'd ideally like is some recipes to use as a control to see if the MSG powder makes a discernible difference. Prawn rice would be asian, Paprika Chicken european'ish ............. But something else?
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:57 pm

As the 'Wall's dog' used to say 'Sossidges'!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:46 pm

If you want to play with MSG's effects try something like this:

Take a powdered herb or spice, one you like the flavor of already.

Mix it with boiling water to get a simple broth.

Then take a measure amount of that and add to it a measured amount of MSG.

Do another adding only salt, and another adding both salt and msg.

Depending on your taste buds, you should be able to discern a difference in flavor intensity when compared to the plain broth. Its really the main reason its used, to cut cost of other ingredients by enhancing their flavor.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby DiyBacon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 pm

SteveW wrote:If it makes food taste better and has no detriment on health if used in small amounts then surely it's a good thing? Does anyone here use it?

Yep, me !

My humble opinion for what it's worth - the key is
"and has no detriment on health if used in small amounts"

I had a similar "SteveW" exprience whilst browsing a large asian supermarket,
MSG in various size packaging,
not being impetuous by nature and having a back of mind 'summat heard about it' I declined and went home to internet ;)!
Lots of reading later ( and you cant believe all you read there ! ) I could not find any authoratative reason why not
and also many reasons why,
as Oddwookiee says,
there is much scaremongering and bad science.

Considering how much analysis goes on into the foodstuffs that we eat (especially in the EU ! ) then if there was a good basis in science for not consuming it it would already be out there, and any marginal undiscovered delaterious effect is already so marginal that we may reasonably fear walking under a bus instead !

'Single blind' testing in this household reveals that the occasional use of 1/4 teaspoon in a 4 serving meal (1/16tsp per person!) elicits kudos of "that was good" :) !
DiyBacon
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks Phil, Sausage for the third one then. It's going to be a while before I get back to the chinese supermarket as I stocked right up last time.. but I will cook al 3 dishes in the future and add MSG to half. Tara can do a blind taste testing and I'll just have to be objective.
I'll try RodinBangkok's method as well.........
SteveW
Registered Member

msg

Postby trapperbruce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 am

is msg not a byproduct and made from beets? and they are good for you ,no? least that is the way it was told to me
<'))))>< bruce
trapperbruce
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Trapperbruce, according to Wiki sugar is part of the MSG creation process which may include beets (which is one of the primary sources of refined sugar), as well as molasses and others.
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: MSG good or bad

Postby bearspice » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:58 am

Hi all, First post, and it's on a controversial subject ! :o More about me at the bottom of the post :)

I had to pop in (and sorry about resurrecting an old thread) but I wanted to let you know that there are most definitely people out there that react badly to MSG (or free glutemic acid). I am one of them.

When I have something containing MSG or it's ilk (hydrolysed protein, E625, E639, basically E6[anything]) it causes my heart to hammer in my chest, prickling in my chest very similar to heart attack symptoms (and I've had two of those, so I know what it feels like) and gives me an intensely dry mouth (I call it 'cotton-mouth'.

I have several friends who experience similar reactions, so if you're going to use MSG or a pre-mix containing it, please advise those who are going to eat your product that it contains MSG, so they can make an informed decision on whether to eat it.

In fact, that's exactly why I found these forums - I am making sausages, hot-dogs, corned beef, pastrami, and smoked meats at home because I love to eat them, but they mostly contain "IT". This way I can have my [meat]cake and eat it, too !! :D

Cheers,
Rob.
bearspice
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter