Thanksgiving smokery

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Thanksgiving smokery

Postby Oddwookiee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 am

Since for those of us in the US Thanksgiving is in a couple days, I thought I'd post what I'm doing for a customer for turkey day. He raises turkeys, then sells them to a group of people year after year. It started as a couple smoked and most fresh, this year we're doing 3 fresh and 18 smoked. Big birds, too- they range from 26 to 38 lb. Here's the truck in the cooler after a day's worth of smoke & heat. Sorry about the quality, an ipod takes lousy pictures in a medium-light area.

Front view.

Back view.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 am

They look real nice.

I am assuming that you smoked them on the cart. What was your process :?: I do ours in a light brine overnight (depending on the size might inject the thighs), do them up in ham netting and smoke as per hams
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

wow, this puts my one 14-lb turkey smoke to shame! I'll try to post it up anyway in a few days though.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Yep, that's the truck I smoked them on. I rubbed the bodies with a light cover of curing salt and paid closer attention to the crevices around the legs wings against the body, then did a brine pump into the breasts & thighs. They sat from Saturday after we closed the shop to Monday morning in the cooler. I'd prefer to net and hang them, but this guy's birds are bigger then the ham stockings I've been able to buy, so I just pin the wings down and tie the legs together to shape them.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general