Bacon-Burger Grind

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Bacon-Burger Grind

Postby JerBear » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I've got a lot of bacon ends and pieces collecting in my freezer that I've been primarily using to flavor beans. I got instead to thinking about making a bacon/beef burger. I know I can find a million recipes online but I trust yous guys and was hoping to know if someone had a tried and true ratio or recipe they would share. I was thinking about either 50/50 bacon/chuck or bacon/brisket or possible thirds bacon/chuck/brisket.

Thoughts?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:21 pm

I sell a 50-50 bacon ends & 85% lean beef trim, generally a mostly front shoulder box. I'll grind it once, put it in the mixer and add a little fine-grind black pepper & a hair of dried minced garlic to wake it up, mix it, then back through the fine plate on the grinder. It tends to move pretty well and the customers like it.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Not working in a meat shop I don't have easy access to 85% trim, would chuck be pretty close?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Chuck would be about right, yes. Most of the 85% I get is big pieces of the chuck anyway.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 pm

For a spin on the bacon burger...I grind half of my bacon ends (coarse) and then fry them crispy and chill before adding to the burger mix. Comes out really nice :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Dingo wrote:For a spin on the bacon burger...I grind half of my bacon ends (coarse) and then fry them crispy and chill before adding to the burger mix. Comes out really nice :D

Thanks for the input Dingo, I was going to do a liver and bacon sausage a couple weeks back and knew I had to precook the bacon to get that bacon flavor, but wasn't sure how it would come out. Will give it a go soon.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: Bacon-Burger Grind

Postby BriCan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 am

JerBear wrote: I know I can find a million recipes online but I trust yous guys and was hoping to know if someone had a tried and true ratio or recipe they would share. I was thinking about either 50/50 bacon/chuck or bacon/brisket or possible thirds bacon/chuck/brisket.

Thoughts?

26 lbs beef
4 lbs bacon

(I use my trim up from my cold smoked bacon, created a problem and now just cold smoke thick pieces from the picnic -- I will pull the original recipe I used at the shop later -- Summer time I would make 1200 lbs a week )
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 am

Add some smoked paprika. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

There's a local restaurant famous for their bacon burgers which is a 50/50 blend but the caveat is that it has to be ordered well done because of the bacon. Precooking it would alleviate that and you could have the bacon in there but still get a rare of medium burger. Not a bad idea...still wondering about the flavor differences between the cooked bacon added to the mix, would you also add the rendered fat?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 am

Use a bacon that doesn't need to be cooked. :D

I wouldn't add rendered fat.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 am

DiggingDogFarm wrote:Use a bacon that doesn't need to be cooked. :D

I wouldn't add rendered fat.

~Martin

Problem being is with my bacon it dose not render fat out :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 am

JerBear wrote: Not a bad idea...still wondering about the flavor differences between the cooked bacon added to the mix, ?

You will lose some/lot of flavour using cooked bacon
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 am

NCPaul wrote:Add some smoked paprika. :D

Its a good idea --- but you need to watch the flavour profile you are trying to atchive -- my thoughts are -- Kis :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:48 pm

I'd be inclined to think not much more than white pepper or very fine black pepper, and a bit of sugar, and a bunch of salt, would give the best flavour to the patty. Otherwise you could run the risk of burying the flavours or over-mingling them.

There's only one way to find out. Start up the grinder!
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Dogfish wrote:I'd be inclined to think not much more than white pepper or very fine black pepper, and a bit of sugar, and a bunch of salt, would give the best flavour to the patty. Otherwise you could run the risk of burying the flavours or over-mingling them.

Black pepper rather than white -- use 32 mesh, no sugar as one normally incorporates it :?: in the bacon cure :?: .

Salt is the big one -- normally on fresh sausage I do 9gm per kg (26 lbs = 110gm salt) with this mix I am down to 40gm for 26 lbs (1.5gm per kg)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general