Cooking Hams

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:42 am

crustyo44 wrote:Robert,
A big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I have learned something again in my old age.
Regards,
Jan.

Jan, I am glad to give where I can, I too lean things from others for which I am grateful
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi BriCan, Happy New Year

I have a ham in the oven at the moment - and I use a steaming method by creating a foil "tent". Added to that, my oven is only running at 206F. How do you think that will affect things? BTW - The "tent" and the oven selection are both recommended in the cookbook for my particular appliance.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Ruralidle wrote:Hi BriCan, Happy New Year

And to you Sir, it is only New Years Eve morning this side so we have a bit of catching up to do. One of these years we may be able to celebrate back there again :)

I have a ham in the oven at the moment - and I use a steaming method by creating a foil "tent". Added to that, my oven is only running at 206F. How do you think that will affect things? BTW - The "tent" and the oven selection are both recommended in the cookbook for my particular appliance.

Oh yea of little faith :wink: ---- just remember not to over cook it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Well, experiment completed!

I removed the ham when the internal temperature was 157F (after about 6 hours) and then left it on the electric hob (switched off) in a kitchen that was 72F. I left the foil "tent" on and the internal temperature peaked at all of 158F, after about 10mins and then started falling back.

Clearly the comparatively low cooking temperature of a 4 oven AGA simmering oven doesn't produce the same effect as BriCan's commercial hardware running at 100F higher temperature! Perhaps the method I used will have produced a more evenly cooked ham (although BriCan's always look - and taste - terrific :) so probably not).

Anyway, the ham, having cooled off quite a bit, is now being blasted with some heat after I glazed it with a mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup, mustard powder and Jack Daniels ;) . I'm looking forward to this!

Happy New Year everyone.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Ruralidle wrote:Well, experiment completed!

Clearly the comparatively low cooking temperature of a 4 oven AGA simmering oven doesn't produce the same effect as BriCan's commercial hardware running at 100F higher temperature! Perhaps the method I used will have produced a more evenly cooked ham (although BriCan's always look - and taste - terrific :) so probably not).

Clearly there are over riding tones in this and I do sense a challenge :wink:

**makes mental note to ones self**

ham cook off next time home :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm looking forward to this!

enquiring minds need to know :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Sounds like a great idea - the "Great British Cooked Ham off" (as opposed the The Great British Bake off) or something :) . I'll get the beers in!

Just tasted the ham and it was good! Even the fact that it had been commercially cured and frozen didn't detract (much) from the taste. The smoke (2 x Applewood - one burned through quite quickly due to a gale - and 1 x Maple in the CSG) came through nicely but was not overpowering and the glaze tasted good.

I have another large gammon in the freezer - perhaps for Easter :) .
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Doh!

I do mine by wet methods. These include: In, above, or surrounded by water whose temperature is at little more than the finished temp that you want in the meat. It takes a long time, but is a great way of cooking ham. As is the "Oven on lowest temp and ham put in overnight" method that many UK butchers have used over the years.

What I do know (as I'm sure does Robert) is that glazing a ham for too long and too hot can undo all the good work put in earlier.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 pm

You two are making my job a little tougher...Happy New Year.

I think I'll do it my way and add it to your posted methods.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:05 pm

DanMcG wrote:You two are making my job a little tougher...Happy New Year.

I think I'll do it my way and add it to your posted methods.

More the merrier Dan :D

as long as we keep the information flowing "everyone" wins

another 3 hours to go before I depart these 'hallowed' halls and call it quits for this year

p.s. I will not add to your woes right now ......... but I do have a 'killer' glaze that I use :wink:

Happy New Year Dan ... and to the rest of you that have or as I await the time :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm

wheels wrote:What I do know (as I'm sure does Robert) is that glazing a ham for too long and too hot can undo all the good work put in earlier.

In saying that ... as the gauntlet has been tossed down and I might add retrieved ..... there is but one thing that is needed and I do so 'humbly' ask

if I may ....... we ... that is to say; Ruralidle and I need .... nay may I say want an impartial judge to declare at least a somewhat winner of this prestigious event (sadly you have been nominated .. voted on and are the winner ... time and place to be set :roll:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 pm

...but you're not daft enough to ruin your ham by cooking the glaze too hot for too long.

My post is not intended to challenge - your tutorial is superb.

The happiest of new years to you...

...and take it easier!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:24 pm

BriCan wrote:
DanMcG wrote:
p.s. I will not add to your woes right now ......... but I do have a 'killer' glaze that I use :wink:

That's way to much of a cliff hanger Robert...are you going to share it this year or will I have to wait till the next?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 pm

BriCan wrote:...as long as we keep the information flowing "everyone" wins

Exactly!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 pm

wheels wrote:...but you're not daft enough to ruin your ham by cooking the glaze too hot for too long.

I'd get slapped around tu ed I woodst :wink:

My post is not intended to challenge

I know Sir; the challenge was from Ruralidle
Sounds like a great idea - the "Great British Cooked Ham off"

We just need an mpartial judge --- you wuz nominated in your absence :lol: :lol:

tutorial is superb.

Thank you :oops:

The happiest of new years to you...

...and take it easier!

Thank you; to you and yours .... and I will as soon as Mr T gets here :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 pm

DanMcG wrote:
BriCan wrote:
DanMcG wrote:

That's way to much of a cliff hanger Robert...are you going to share it this year or will I have to wait till the next?

Yes Sir
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general